Thursday, February 11, 2010

Birthday Wishes


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jane Yolen 


Jane Yolen was born in New York City on February 11, 1939.  She attended Smith College, receiving her bachelor's degree in 1960.  She also attended the University of Massachusetts, receiving her master's degree in education in 1976.  In 1962 Jane married David Stemple and they had three children; Heidi, Adam and Jason.  Jane and David were married 44 years when he died from cancer in 2006.

Jane has written more than 280 books, many of which have won awards.  Some of the books she has written are; Owl Moon, Briar Rose, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?, Baby Bear's Books, Sleeping Ugly and Letting Swift River Go.

Did you know that Jane has been refered to as the Aesop of the twentieth century?  Or that she has been called the Hans Christian Andersen of America?  If you'd like to learn more about Jane Yolen, I suggest you check out her website http://janeyolen.com/

 

2 comments:

madcapmaggie said...

Suzanne, I love Jane Yolen's books -- loved the "Great Alta" saga, for one .. but hadn't realized she's written SO many others -- I'm absolutely going to have to hit the library and the bookstore now.

Margaret Fieland
http://www.margaretfieland.com/

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Margaret, thank you for stopping by.

I have to admit, I've never read any of Jane Yolen's books, but I have now added a few of her titles to my reading list.

I hope you had a chance to check out her website.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...