Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Favorite Children's Books


Earlier today I decided that I need to tackle the clutter that has taken over my office.  I've gotten tired of stepping over piles of books and papers, but the final straw was when I had no idea where some things I needed were.  The first task was to put away the stacks of books I had sitting on the floor.  I didn't realize just how many children's books I had accumulated until I tried finding spots for them in the bookcases.  This was no easy task.  

As I picked up each book, special memories would come to mind of how each book was acquired.  Several were from when we met the author at a book signing.  Several were from relatives as Christmas gifts.  One was from when we took a family vacation to California.  Then there were the special memories of the times I'd sit with my son and read the books to him, then with him as he learned to read and then finally he'd read them to me when he mastered reading.  My son is now 17, so those memories are now somewhat precious.

Anyways, as I was looking at the books, I was wondering what children's books were considered favorites by other people.  I'll share a few of mine:

1. LOVE YOU FOREVER  written by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Sheila McGraw
2. THE GIVING TREE  by Shel Silverstein
3. CHRISTMAS TROLLS by Jan Brett
4. A LITTLE BIT OF NONSENSE by Denise Rodgers and illustrated by Julie Martin
5. BUZZY THE BUMBLEBEE by Denise Brennan-Nelson and illustrated by Michael Glenn Monroe
6. DESIGNED BY GOD SO I MUST BE SPECIAL written by Bonnie Sose and illustrated by Bonnie and Holly Sose

What are some of your favorite children's books?  Please take a few minutes to share what they are and if you'd like, share any special memories associated with the books.

10 comments:

kathy stemke said...

I like: Run Away Bunny, Goodnight Moon, Days End Lullaby, Humberto, the Bookworm Hamster, A Talent for Quiet, Crash, A Star in the Night, Rattlesnake Jam, Nothing Stops Noah.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Kathy, thank you for stopping by and sharing some of your favorite children's books.

RATTLESNAKE JAM is on my list of children's books to read.

almostveganinparadise said...

Tikki Tikki Tembo is my absolute favorite children's book of all time!

I love the rhythm and rhyme, the story itself, and how it explains why Chinese children all have short names.

Other favorites were Ote and The Gunniwolf, folk tales from Puerto Rico and Germany, I think.

It wasn't until decades later, as an adult, that I realized it was my father's voice I heard reading those books to us.

He made the devil in Ote sound utterly evil and creepy, hissing orders with a scratchy voice. He sweetly sang "Kum kwa, ki wa" as the little girl in the Gunniwolf.

His animated gift of reading to us is one of the main reasons I've always loved children's books, and the reason I want to publish my own stories now!

Alina Niemi

alinaspencil.com
almostveganinparadise.wordpress.com
zazzle.com/alinaspencil*

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Alina, thank you for stopping by and sharing about some of your favorite children's books and the memories associated with them. The books sound very interesting.

I used to do different voices with some of the books that I read to my son when he was younger. He used to get such a kick out of it.

Cher'ley said...

Gosh, can't think right now, but wanted to comment. I read a lot to my children and to may grandchildren. The grandchildren had two favorites that I'll have to get the title and author to at a later time (I'm on the truck). But, the one kept saying "Don't turn the page." The other is a book that you find the icons and press a button for sounds as you read. It's a Christmas book that I bought the kids 18 years ago and the batteries still work, and when they stop it came with two extra batteries. Way Cool.

We read a lot from various children's bibles too. My oldest grandson had one of the thick books pretty much memorized by the time he was three.

Now I've written and edited a children's book that I need to find a home for. Plus, I wrote a picture book, that I need to explore getting published. I hope both will bring smiles and mystery to a young child's mind.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Cher'ley, thanks for stopping by!

That one book that you are talking about that kepy saying "Don't turn the page", is that THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THE BOOK with Grover from Sesame Street? That's what came to mind when I read your post. It was one of those Golden Books.

My son liked that book so much when he was younger that we actually wore out the first copy and the second copy we got was in pretty bad shape when he finally outgrew it. I'd forgotten all about that book until I read your post.

Ah, more memories!

I hope you find homes for both of your books! :)

madcapmaggie said...

I love "Peter Rabbit," the Dr Seuss books, Barrie's "Peter Pan," Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". There are also some picture books based on folk tales that I used to read to my kids that I loved ,, as I recall one of my favorites was titled something like "Rikki Tikki Tembo"

Margaret Fieland
http://www.margaretfieland.com/

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Margaret, thank you for sharing some of your favorite children's books.

You've got some really good ones listed!

Interviews, books, and music said...

Trying to think of my favorite children's books isn't easy - I like so many! Let's see, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Dogzilla, Piggins, and Wind in the Willows are the first ones that come to mind. I see some titles that the others listed that I'm going to have to read now!

Love your blog, Susanne!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello Julie! I've not heard of Dogzilla or Piggins. Think I'll have to check them out.

Glad you like the blog. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...