Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Hearts Day!


Today is Valentine's Day.  This is the day we give cards, flowers, chocolates and/or presents to our loved ones to show we care.  For me it is just another day, because I try to do special little things for my loved ones throughout the year.  It may just be making a favorite meal they haven't had in awhile, a love note tucked in a packed lunch, a card or letter sent in the mail, or just telling someone how much they are appreciated.

Today I'd like to share a couple of poems.  The first poem was written for my high school spring anthology in 1982.


FEELINGS

I write because of confusion
and wish to understand.
I talk for fear of loneliness
please let me take your hand.
I wonder because of curiosity
I need to know the why.
I love because of emptiness
that often makes me cry.
I laugh because I'm joyful
and wish to make you too.
I pray to God you love me
for that's what I need from you.
For all these things 
I live each day.
They tell me what to do
and say.
To talk, to love,
to laugh and cry.
I'll live all these feelings 
until the day I die.



This second poem was written sometime in February of 1987.  


Love ...

Love is like a flower
if nurtured and cared for,
it will grow and blossom.
If neglected and forgotten,
it will wither and die.


I hope you enjoyed the poems.  Please leave me a comment and let me know what you thought of them.  If you'd like, you could share a poem of your own or maybe share something special you do for a loved one.   Happy Hearts Day!



7 comments:

Cher Green said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Wanita Strong said...

Lovely poems.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Cher, Hi Wanita, thank you for stopping by today and leaving a comment.

Katie Hines said...

I especially like that first poem; I could definitely relate to it. Thanks for the nice post.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Katie, thanks for stopping by today. I'm so glad you liked the first poem.

I may share more of my poems in future posts.

J. Aday Kennedy's A Writing Playground said...

Your poem from high school reminds me of how deep & wise I was in my poetry yet woefully naive about the real world.
I enjoyed them both thanks for sharing.
Aday

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Aday, thank you for stopping by and posting. I'm glad you liked the poems.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...