Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Birthday Wishes


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

DR. SEUSS 


Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on March 2, 1904, in Springfield, Massachusetts.  He was an American writer and cartoonist, best known by children and parents as Dr. Seuss.  He also wrote about a dozen children's books under the lesser known pen name of Theo. LeSieg.  His books have been translated into over 15 languages.

Dr. Seuss's career of writing children's books began with And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.  It was turned down 27 times before being published by Vanguard Press in 1937.  His colorful, whimsical characters delight children and adults of all ages.  Who isn't familiar with Horton the Elephant, Yertle the Turtle, the Sneetches, the Lorax or the Grinch?  Some of the titles Seuss is famous for are The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Theodor Seuss Geisel died on September 24, 1991, in La Jolla, Ca.  Although his pen has been forever silenced, Dr. Seuss will live on through his books and his beloved characters, continuing to teach and inspire future generations of readers.


Here is a list of his books that I have:

- Dr. Seuss's ABC
- One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
- The Foot Book
- Hop On Pop
- The Cat In The Hat
- Green Eggs and Ham
- The Tooth Book
- Hooper Humperdink...?  Not Him!
- My Book About Me


Do you have a favorite Dr. Seuss book or character?  Do you have any of his books sitting on a bookshelf?  



12 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

Where do I start? Dr. Suess was one of my favorites as a kid and my kids now read the book. I love reading them to the little tykes. Brings back fine memories of my Mom reading to me.

Stephen Tremp

Corey Schwartz said...

Love, love, love him. He is my inspiration and my idol!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Stephen, thanks for stopping by and posting!

Hi Corey, definitely an inspiration. Glad you stopped by and posted.

I have to say my favorite Dr. Seuss book is The Lorax. Had a copy at one time, but we read it so much when my son was little that we wore it out! I'd like to get another copy some day.

kathy stemke said...

MY FAVORITE IS...
THE GRINCH THAT STOLE CHRISTMAS

Mindy said...

Many of the children I look after always mistaken me for their mother so I read Are You My Mother? all the time to them as it is now our own little inside joke. I'm pretty sure that's a Dr. Seuss book though it says P.D Eastman... but I thought that was his real name or something like that....

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Hi Mindy, Are You My Mother? is a good book.

Dr. Seuss and his wife founded Beginner Books and P.D. Eastman was one of the authors who wrote/illustrated. Another book by P.D. Eastman in the Beginner Books line is The Best Nest.

Cher Green said...

I remember these books from when I was a child, but was never really drawn too them. Of course, spending the day with Stephen King and his nightmarish thoughts are more my cup of tea.

Susanne Drazic said...

My mom is a big Stephen King fan. I think she has all his books.

arlee bird said...

Cat in the Hat is definitely my favorite. I recall becoming acquainted with "Cat" when I was in kindergarten in about 1956 or so and being so enthralled because it was unlike any of the other books that I'd heard read to me.
I have a compilation, SIX BY SEUSS, which contains 6 of his favorites (but, alas, no "Cat"). I got this when my kids were little. They are all adults now but I still have the book here. Actually we may have more Seuss books around since my wife is a kindergarten teacher.
Lee

BDTharp said...

I have so many favorite Dr. Seuss books that I'm not sure which is number one. Oh, The Places You Will Go (I think that's right) was one I gave my son when he graduated from high school and he got a kick out of it. He was a writer for all times.

J. Aday Kennedy's A Writing Playground said...

Susanne,
Do you know why he started writing? In my speech class in college a student gave a speech about Dr. Seuss. He said that Doctor Seuss tried to get published to win a $50 bet.
In don't remember if he was writing anyway, but his "friend" didn't think the books with odd looking illustrations could get published.

I wish someone could bet me and I'd win the bet and achieve a tiny bit of the success he had.

Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer

Susanne Drazic said...

Aday,

I remembered something about a bet in my notes so I went back and looked at them.

The wager was that Ted Geisel couldn't write a book with 50 words or less. Well we know he won that wager because the finished result is the book Green Eggs and Ham.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...