Monday, March 22, 2010

Birthday Wishes


HAPPY BIRTHDAY


 Randolph Caldecott
 

Randolph Caldecott, an English artist and illustrator, was born at 150 Bridge Street in Chester, England, on March 22, 1846.  He was the third child of John Caldecott and Mary Dinah Brookes.  Randolph had a brother, Alfred, and a sister, Sophia.  

At the age of 26 Randolph quit his job, working at a bank, and moved to London, supporting himself entirely through his artwork.  Within two years he was successfully working on commission as a magazine illustrator for The Graphic, Punch, and other magazines.  In 1878 Randolph had two books, The House Jack Built and The Diverting History of John Gilpin, published for Christmas.  They were such a success, that Randolph produced two new books each year, for Christmas, through 1885.

Randolph became engaged to Marian H. Brind in 1879 and they were married a year later.  They had no children.  While Randolph and Marian were on a trip to the United States in 1886, Randolph became ill and died on February 12th in St. Augustine, Florida.  He was not quite 40 years old.

Randolph Caldecott is best remembered for his ageless illustrating contributions to children's literature in the nineteenth century.  He is also remembered through the Caldecott Medal, which is rewarded for excellence in children's book illustrations.  It was established by Mr. Frederic G. Melcher in 1938.

3 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Interesting article about Mr. Caldecott's life. For some reason I've never read about him. Thanks.

Bev

Interviews, books, and music said...

I enjoyed that! Like Beverly, I have never read about him - which is embarrassing since I work in a library! I'm a secretary, not a librarian, so I'll use that as my excuse. This gives me a good incentive to look up Mr. Caldecott's illustrations.

Susanne Drazic said...

I have to admit that I'd never read about Mr. Caldecott until I decided to write about him for my Birthday Wishes post. He is the first illustrator I've written about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...