Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Newbery Medal Winners (Part 2)


The John Newbery Medal, given every year since 1922, is given by the Association for Library Service to Children.  There have been only a few authors who have received the John Newbery Medal more than once.


Newbery Medal Winners 1951 - 1979


  • 1951: Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
  • 1952: Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
  • 1953: Secret of the Andes by Ann Nolan Clark
  • 1954: ...And Now Miguel by Joseph Krungold
  • 1955: The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong
  • 1956: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
  • 1957: Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson
  • 1958: Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith
  • 1959: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  • 1960: Onion John by Joseph Krumgold
  • 1961: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
  • 1962: The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • 1963: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  • 1964: It's Like This, Cat by Emily Neville
  • 1965: Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska
  • 1966: I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino
  • 1967: Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt
  • 1968: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
  • 1969: The High King by Lloyd Alexander
  • 1970: Sounder by William H. Armstrong
  • 1971: Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars
  • 1972: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM by Robert O'Brien
  • 1973: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  • 1974: The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox
  • 1975: M. C. Higgins, the Great by Virginia Hamilton
  • 1976: The Grey King by Susan Cooper
  • 1977: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
  • 1978: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  • 1979: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin  

6 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

I've read about 6 books from this section of the Newbery Medal Winners list.

Paul and Karen said...

Hi Susanne, I was surprised to see several that my children have urged me to read, and that I love! Nice blog, btw, I love your signature line at the top. Karen :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Glad you like my blog.

I went and checked out your blog and left a comment. I'll be sure to stop by from time to time.

Angela said...

I feel terrible that I've only read a few from this list. I can understand why so many writers make it a goal to read all the NBs at some point in their career.

Cher Green said...

I regret to say that so far there's only one here that I've read. I am enjoying this post.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Angela, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
You've got a great blog and I'll be sure to stop by from time to time.

Hi Cher, thanks for stopping by. Glad you are liking the posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...