Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birthday Wishes


HAPPY BIRTHDAY


Sheila Burnford

Sheila Burnford was born in Scotland on May 11, 1918. In 1941 she married Doctor David Burnford. They had three children. During WW II, Sheila was a volunteer ambulance driver. She died on April 20, 1984, at the age of 65.

Sheila wrote fiction and nonfiction, her readers being both children and adults. Many of her books were on Canadian topics. The book she is best remembered for, The Incredible Journey, won the 1961 Canadian Children's Book of the Year award. The Incredible Journey was also the basis of a popular Disney film, which in turn helped the book to become a bestseller.

7 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

We love this show. Also like the Adventures of Milo and Otis. These are classics that can be passed down generation to generation and never lose their attraction to young and old alike.

Stephen Tremp

Janet Johnson said...

Fun blog! I'd never heard of Ms. Burnford. I love that she was a volunteer ambulance driver. And I haven't read The Incredible Journey, but maybe I will. I mean, if it's a Disney movie . . . right? :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my contest!

Donna M. McDine said...

What a lovely tribute to Ms. Burnford.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks for visiting Book Dreaming today. I love making new blog friends!! :-)

Angela Ackerman said...

Nice tribute here. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Shannon, I like your blog. I'm following it, so I'll be stopping by from time to time. I like making new blog friends too.

Hi Angela, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...