Monday, July 12, 2010

Ten Questions with Beverly Stowe McClure



I'd like to welcome Beverly Stowe McClure to my blog today. She is the author of several books, the most recent being a YA Historical Fiction titled Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines.

1. Beverly, could you tell us a little about yourself?

You bet. If anyone had told me I'd be a writer someday, I'd have thought they were crazy. When I was a kid, I hated to read. School book reports were a nightmare. Even though my eighth-grade teacher sent my poem "Stars" to a high school anthology and it was published in Young America Sings, I hated to write. In spite of my rocky relationship with books, I attended Midwestern University, read more books than I could imagine and wrote more papers than I ever believed possible, graduated and became a teacher. What was I thinking? However, I loved teaching. I loved listening to my fifth-grade students reporting on their favorite books. And I loved reading to them, as well as to my sons. It took many years, but I finally discovered that books were fun. I also started to write. Now my nose is either in a book or in front of the computer screen.

2. What is your favorite quote?

 
From my mother: "If it doesn't get done today, it can wait until tomorrow. And if there is no tomorrow, then it won't matter anyway."

3. If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

 
Jesus Christ because he is a true friend, one who cares for me above Himself.

4. What are your top five favorite books and why?

Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell: The Civil War era is one of my favorite time periods. Scarlett is a memorable character. You love her. You hate her. You want to shake her and tell her to wake up and see what she has. And Rhett - well, what can I say about him.

A Family Apart, (The Orphan Train Quartet), Joan Lowery Nixon: This is a series about children who rode the Orphan Trains west. This part of American history is dear to me because my mother rode the Orphan Train from Brooklyn to Texas in 1921.

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott: Another book set during the Civil War. It's a lovely story about a family of four daughters that are so real, with their joys and sorrows.

The Stand, Stephen King: A great story that so easily could happen.

Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater: Though I'm not normally a vampire or werewolf fan, I love the different take on the werewolves in this story. It's also a lovely romance. Looking forward to Linger, the next book in the series that will be out soon.

5. What is the best advice you've received?

 
I can't recall anything specific, but my second cousin, who passed away a couple of years ago at age 98, always told me to "Have fun." I think that's true about life. Look on the bright side when possible and treasure each moment of every day.

6. Where do you find inspiration?

 
All around me. My family. The trees. The animals. Long walks. History.

7. Your latest book, recently released, is Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines. What are your marketing strategies for the book?

I've been sending out copies for reviews, entering contests, and posting on my blogs. I had the contest on my blog and also have set up book signings for July, August, and September. These will be announced on my blogs and Facebook. I will be calling and sending information to historical sites, museums, gift shops, and other places that deal with history and the Civil War. I hope to do a virtual tour, perhaps in August, so I'd better get started on that. Also I've placed ads on teen sites, such as TeensReadToo and Flamingnet. Also, interviews like this one and on Cave of Dreams.

8. Can you share about some projects you are currently working on?

 
My most recent completed work is a MG story. A Pirate, A Blockade Runner, and a Cat (all ghosts), about a boy who hates South Carolina, where he and his mother move after his parents separate, and makes a deal with ghosts to return to Texas. And his conscience only bothers him a little.

 
I'm also working on a YA contemporary novel, titled The Survivors' Club, about four teens who form a club to survive their families.

 
Also in the works is Princess Breeze, a sequel to my recent tween novel, Just Breeze. It's still in pretty rough form.

 
For a change of pace I've written a couple short stories for the Chicken Soup series of books. They're fun to do. I'm waiting to hear if they're accepted. 

 
9. Where can people learn more about you and your books?

My website is http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com
My blog is http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com

I'm on just about every site, Facebook, LiveJournal, MySpace, Gather. Google me.

10. Is there anything else you'd like to share? 

 
I'm so happy I learned the value of reading. I'm so happy I decided to write. The authors, illustrators, editors, and publishers I've met (mostly in the virtual world) are the nicest people in the world. Everyone else helps everyone else.

Beverly, our time has come to an end. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview. 

 
Thank you, Susanne, for letting me visit with you today. I wish you much success in your ventures.

 
I hope everyone has enjoyed the interview as much as I have. Please leave any questions you have for Beverly. She will be stopping by to answer them for you.  

23 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Good Morning, Susanne. Thanks for the great interview. Thank you for taking time out of your days for the wonderful reviews and interview.

If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer them. Will be back. :)

Beth Reinke said...

What a lovely interview, Susanne.

Nice to get to know you a little better, Beverly. Your WIPs sound especially interesting. And I would love to join you and Jesus for coffee - what a blessing that would be! :o)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Hi Beth. So nice of you to drop by. Yes, that would be quite a nice visit with Jesus.

Karen Cioffi said...

Beverly, I love your mother's saying and agree with it 100%.

Great interview, Susanne

Vivian Zabel said...

Princess Breeze, huh?

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Mmm. Yes, Vivian, but it's in very rough form now and just on chapter 12. I do like the way it's going though. We may just take a journey to Isla del Fuego. :)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thanks, Karen. I try to remember it when I think I have to do everything at once. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Beverly, thank you for doing the interview. It was fun.

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out all the comments that were left.

Have a great week!

Susanne Drazic said...

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who stopped by and left a comment.

I hope you all have a great week!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Susanne--Thanks for introducing us to Beverly! I'm off to check out her blog.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Hi Sharon,

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. You're welcome anytime. :)

Donna M. McDine said...

Absolutely fantastic interview of Beverly. She always shares something new in her interviews!

Best wishes,
Donna

Stephen Tremp said...

I like that you give Jesus his due honor. My book was not my own idea. It just came to me pretty much all at once. At keast the outline of it. I give God the credit and glory because this sure wasn't my brain at work.

Stephen Tremp

Stephen Tremp said...

I like that you give Jesus his due honor. My book was not my own idea. It just came to me pretty much all at once. At keast the outline of it. I give God the credit and glory because this sure wasn't my brain at work.

Stephen Tremp

Janet Johnson said...

Great interview. I love the variety of your 5 favorite books. :)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Hi, Donna. Yup. You never know what'll pop out when I start talking. :)

God is remarkable, isn't He, Stephen?

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thank you, Janet. I enjoy almost all categories, but don't care for books with bad language, violence, or scenes that make me blush.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Beverly, thanks so much for stopping by to check out the comments people have been leaving.

Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments for Beverly. She's been a great author to work with. Hope you all get a chance to read her book, Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, just read the review below. Sounds like a very interesting book!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thanks, Corey. :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I love your mother's quote! She sounds like a very wise woman.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Thanks, Jane. Sometimes I really need her here now to remind me that everything doesn't have to be done now. She plants those thoughts in my mind though.

Thank you, Susanne, for your reviews and interview. It's been such fun. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Corey, thanks for stopping by. It is an interesting book. Hope you get a chance to read it.


Hi Jane, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...