Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ten Questions With Debra K. Dunlap


Today my guest is Debra K. Dunlap, author of the YA fantasy Fallon O'Reilly and The Ice Queen's Lair. 



1. Hi, Debra.  Could you tell us a little about yourself?

First, I'd like to thank you for hosting me, Susanne.  I appreciate the opportunity to present my work and the MuseItUp Publishing Company to your readers.

Well, let's see, I am the mother of five wonderful children, grandmother to seven beautiful little ones and aunt to a horde of nieces and nephews.  My educational credentials include a B.S. in Physics and a B.S. in Paralegal Studies.  Although I've spent most of my life in Alaska, I currently reside in a very small town in Wyoming.


2. Would you describe your desk or workspace?

My very large desk always holds my laptop, a cup of coffee, a globe, a gargoyle clock and a dragon letter opener.  I'm very partial to a tidy workspace, but I recently moved into a new house and haven't finished unpacking.  So, if you were to peek right now, you'd see a few boxes and sundries stacked at the end of the desk!


3. Do you have a favorite quote?

Yes!  "Imagination is more important than knowledge."  Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
I've always believed that imagination served as the foundation for Einstein's immense grasp of physics.


4. If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

Anne McCaffrey!  She has written many wonderful books, but my favorites are those from the Pern series.  I've read them so many times that I feel I've actually met the characters.  I want to be a Pernese dragon rider!  What a treat it would be to have coffee with her and listen to her talk about her inspiration for the series.


5. What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a quirk, but I do some of my best writing when I'm not writing.  Whenever I am waiting in line, sitting in traffic or waiting to fall asleep, I'm usually creating scenes and dialog.  Recently, I waited on the freeway with traffic stopped due to some sort of work.  I was so engrossed plotting a new book that I didn't notice the state trooper, who directed traffic, trying to get my attention to move forward.  By the time I heard all the honking horns, the poor man was nearly jumping up and down in frustration.  I'm surprised he didn't pull his gun and fire a shot into the air!


6. Sounds like that could be the start of an interesting scene for a book.  Okay, on to my next question.  Do you write full-time or part-time?

I work full-time as a Deputy Clerk of District Court, so I write part-time.  I get up at 5 a.m. to write before work and write again when I come home.


7. What marketing strategies do you have for Fallon O'Reilly and The Ice Queen's Lair?

I'm working to increase my online presence, such as developing a website, blog and Facebook page.  I particularly enjoy Facebook because it allows interactive exchanges, rather than the one-way posting of information provided by websites.


8. Could you share a little about any current writing projects?

I recently completed a new novel about a 15 year-old girl who survives the destruction of her entire village and must assume responsibility for the orphaned children.  The second book in the Magic in the Americas (Fallon O'Reilly) series is in the works, too.


9. What would be some ways for readers to contact you?

Readers are welcomed and encouraged to contact me at:


I can also be found at the following addresses:





10. Is there anything else you'd like to share?

I'd like to acknowledge the encouragement and assistance provided to authors by Lea Schizas, founder of the Muse Online Writers Conference and owner of the MuseItUp Publishing house.  Lea is an amazing, hard-working woman with the stamina of a champion and a heart of gold.  She's created a publishing company with a wonderful team spirit and I encourage authors to submit to MuseItUp Publishing.     


Debra, thank you for stopping by today to answer some questions.  I've enjoyed getting to know you better.  I look forward to when book two of the Magic in the Americas (Fallon O'Reilly) series comes out.  I'll try to wait patiently.

16 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Wonderful interview, Susanne.

Congratulations on your new book, Debra. I won it awhile back and look forward to reading it soon.

Best wishes for your continued success.

Janet Johnson said...

Enjoyed the interview. :)Congratulations on your book, Debra, sounds like a good one . . . and wow, 5 am. That is dedication!

Joylene Butler said...

Thank you both for a wonderful interview. Debra, your book sounds great. The cover is intriguing. Best of luck with your marketing.

Charlie said...

Wonderful interview. Was nice to get to know you a little better. So happy for your book. Sounds delightful.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Beverly, glad you were able to tsop by for the interview. Can't wait to hear what you think of the book.
--------------------
Hi Janet. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview.
--------------------
Hi Joylene, thank you for stopping by to check out the interview. It's a great book.
--------------------
Hi Charlie, glad you liked the interview. Thanks for stopping by.

Mason Canyon said...

Debra, your books sound quite intriguing. Enjoyed the interview. Best of luck with your writing and continued success.

Susanne, thanks for the introduction to another new-to-me author with such interesting books.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jackee said...

Great interview (and great review below)!! I would have loved to hear what the state trooper thought about why Debra wasn't paying attention to him. LOL!

Thanks for sharing, ladies. :o)

Talli Roland said...

Great interview, ladies! I always like hearing about other writers' work spaces!

Angela Ackerman said...

Nice interview. Glad to see I'm not the only one who occasionally spaces out at bad moments plotting a book, lol!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Karen Cioffi said...

Enjoyed the interview. And, I love that quote by Einstein! Imagination brings us 'to infinite and beyond.'

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Mason, glad you had a chance to stop by and check out the interview. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it.
---------------------------------
Hi Jackee. Glad you enjoyed the interview and the review. I liked the part about the state trooper too.
: )
---------------------------------
Hi Talli. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview with Debra.
---------------------------------
Hi Angela, thanks for stopping by. This was a fun interview with Debra.
---------------------------------
Hi Karen, glad you had a chance to stop by and check out the interview with Debra. That is a great quote that she shared in the interview.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Aw, she had me at dragon letter opener! Great interview. I hadn't heard of her book! Love me some fantasy...

And a physics degree? So cool. I bet that provides a great background for her fantasy.

Maddy said...

Muse on line is a new one to me. I shall have to check it out as we can all do with a little encouragement.

Thanks for the great interview sounds right up my daughter's street, and it is nearly holiday time.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Carolina, thanks for stopping by and checking out the interview.
----------------------------------
Hi Maddy, thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you enjoyed the interview with Debra.

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss susanne! that was a cool interview. i like knowing more about writers and how they do stuff.
...hugs from lenny

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Lenny! I'm glad you had a chance to stop by and check out the interview that I did with Debra.

I enjoy learning new things about authors and how they come up with the ideas for their stories.

Have a great week!
: )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...