Friday, December 17, 2010

Ten Questions with Cheryl C. Malandrinos



Cheryl C. Malandrinos, author of the children's picture book, Little Shepherd, has agreed to answer some questions today. 


1. Cheryl, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Thanks for having me here today, Susanne.  I'm thrilled to have your blog as a stop for the Little Shepherd Virtual Book Tour.

I'm a wife and mother of three kids, ages 23, 9, and 7.  I've lived in Western Massachusetts my entire life.  I began writing as a teen, but didn't embark upon my career until 2004, when I left Corporate America and became a stay-at-home mom.


2. What was your favorite book as a child and why?

I've blocked out most of my childhood, LOL!  I don't think I had a favorite book when I was a kid.  I've always been an avid reader, so books were constantly flowing back and forth from the library.  I t wasn't until I was in my twenties that I started focusing on my interests, and at that time, I discovered books that probably would have been my favorites as a kid if I had read them back then: Little House on the Prarie by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery.


3. What is your favorite quote?

"Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke


4. If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

There are several, but I guess I would have to say my mom.  She died when I was only 14.  I would love to hear what she thinks about how I've turned out.  If she came here for coffee she would get to meet her grandkids.


5. What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

I'm not a quirky person; though some of my friends might disagree.  I do tend to do something a bit strange with my hands when I'm sitting down at my computer and thinking.  It's hard to describe, but my left hand is fisted and my right hand is flat.  I slap my fist into my other hand.  It makes a clapping sound.  I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time.


6. What is the best advice you've ever received?

Another tough question, but most likely it would be a quote that my husband shared with me one day.  I was having a tough time at work.  The boss and I didn't get along very well.  A bouquet of flowers arrived with a note that said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

The quote comes from Eleanor Roosevelt's 1937 autobiography, This Is My Story.  I try to remember this quote when I'm feeling down on myself or doubt my abilities.  God created us as equals and He brought each one of us into this world for a purpose.  There's no reason for any of us to feel inferior.


7. Now that your VBT is coming to an end, what marketing strategies do you have for Little Shepherd?

I'll continue to visit local schools, keep blogging, and hopefully find more podcast interviews.  There are still many other blogs to visit too, so I'll contact more bloggers.

I have a few copies of the book on concession right now.  I'll probably pull them out of the bookstore after Christmas is over.  Since Little Shepherd is a Christmas book, I think most sales will come at the end of the year and then there will be a drop off until next fall.  I'll just be sure to keep my name out there and continue to submit other projects to publishers.


8. Where can people find your children's book, Little Shepherd?

If you are interested in picking up a copy of Little Shepherd, you'll find it available at:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Guardian Angel Publishing
Indiebound.org


9. Can you share about some things you are currently working on?

I am in the process of getting ready to submit a new story, also set around Christmas.  A Visit with Santa tells the story of a young boy named Robert who is excited to meet Santa at the mall on Christmas Eve and share his wish list.  When he meets Glenn, a boy with a terminally ill brother, Robert discovers the joy of thinking of others.

I've also completed thirteen chapters of a middle grade historical I am very excited about.  My goal is to finish the manuscript by March of next year and get it ready for submission.


10. Is there anything else you'd like to share?

Too often the spirit of Christmas is lost behind our trying to create a Currier and Ives holiday for out loved ones.  I've been guilty of it more times than not.  As I've already witnessed once, children grow up way too fast.  I swear I just brought my son home from the hospital, and yet, he got married this year.  Where did the time go?

Over the past few years, the Lord has really driven home an important point to me: Christmas isn't about the decorations, finding the perfect gift, or even the food.  Christmas is about spending time with family and friends.  It's about doing a kindness for someone without expecting anything back.  It's about one miraculous night that forever changed our world.  If we hold that miracle close today, tomorrow, and forever, we too, with His guidance, can change the world and make it a better, safer, more peaceful place for all of us.


You can find Cheryl through the following links:

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1110037692
Twitter - http://twitter.com/ccmalandrinos

http://ccmalandrinos.com
http://littleshepherdchildrensbook.blogspot.com
http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com
http://booktoursandmore.blogspot.com
http://childrensandteensbookconnection.wordpress.com


Today is the last day of Cheryl's Virtual Blog Tour.  Be sure to check out the following link to learn about the two different giveaways going on through December 17th. 
http://littleshepherdchildrensbook.blogspot.com/2010/09/giveaways-announced-for-little-shepherd.html



15 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for having me back again today, Susanne. You asked some thought-provoking questions.

I hope your reader will visit me online and consider purchasing a copy of Little Shepherd.

Wishing you and your readers a blessed Christmas.

Cheryl

Mason Canyon said...

A wonderful interview. It's always fun to learn more about writers. We have got lost in trying to make Christmas all about gifts and decorations. Family and friends are the important things. Wishing you much success, Cheryl.

Susanne, thanks for hosting Cheryl. Happy holidays to you both.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Super interview, Susanne.

Best wishes to you with your new stories, Cheryl. Enjoyed learning still more about you.

Merry Christmas.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies. You're continued support means the world to me.

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Cheryl

Nancy Stewart said...

You are always full of surprises. I look forward to your other books! Have a wonderful holiday.

Janet Johnson said...

Love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote. One of my favorites. :)

Congratulations, Cheryl, on your book! Best of luck. :D

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Great interview. Sadly my kids are no longer into picture books. :(

Karen Cioffi said...

Wonderful interview, ladies. I like both quotes.

And, great success with your book, Cheryl.

Melissa said...

Reminder: Be Jolly By Golly Blog fest on Monday! Jen and I can't wait for your entry!

Melissa's blog.

Jen's blog.

Susanne Drazic said...

Cheryl, thank you for agreeing to do the interview. It was fun learning more about you and your writing. I enjoyed being a stop on your Virtual Blog Tour. I hope it was a big success!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Mason. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview. Merry Christmas!
-----------------------------------
Hi Beverly. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. So glad you liked the interview. Merry Christmas!
-----------------------------------
Hi Nancy. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Janet, thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.
-----------------------------------
Hi Stina, thanks for stopping by to check out the interview and to leave a comment. Merry Christmas!
-----------------------------------
Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by to check out the interview. I'm glad you liked it. Those are great quotes.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Melissa, I haven't forgotten.
: )

Connie Arnold said...

Great interview! It's nice to learn a bit more about you, Cheryl. Hope Little Shepherd has lots of sales this last week before Christmas!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Connie, thanks for stopping by to check out the interview.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...