Monday, January 24, 2011

A Review of Second Chance



Second Chance: How Adoption Saved a Boy with Autism and His Shelter Dog

Written by
Sandra J. Gerencher

Pub. Date: April 2008
Paperback, 28 pgs.

ISBN-13: 978-0-9814619-2-2
ISBN-10: 0-9814619-2-1

 Tribute Books



My Review
Second Chance is a wonderful story about adoption, love, and belonging.  It is told through the point of view of Chance, who is a rescue dog.  Chance is adopted by a nice lady and her autistic son, Ryan.  Chance goes home to live with them and their three other dogs, P.J., Little Rascal, and Shelby.  New words like "adopt" and "autism" are confusing to Chance.  As he learns more about his new family and his new home, he also learns what "adopt" and "autism" mean. 

I must admit that when I read through Second Chance, I was not a fan of the pictures.  There was no definition to the pictures and they just seemed too blurry to me.  The pictures in no way take away from the beautiful story that is being shared.

Second Chance is a story that so many people will enjoy reading, but will also learn from.  It is an easy way to teach someone about adoption, but also about autism and being accepted when different from others.  This would be a wonderful addition to any public, school or home library. 

11 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Susanne - I always appreciate your reviews of our titles and your look at SECOND CHANCE is no exception. Thank you for sharing the book with all of the parents and young readers out there.

As an aside on the pictures - they are all photos of Sandra's real life family that were blurred with a watercolor effect in order to protect their privacy/anonymity. I appreciate your valid concerns.

Best wishes,
Nicole
Tribute Books

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Nicole. thanks for stopping by to check out the review. I'm glad you liked it.

Thank you for explaining about the look of the pictures. I didn't know that they were actual family pictures made to look that way.

It is a beautiful story that I hope everyone gets a chance to read.

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss susanne! wow that sounds like a pretty neat story for sure. i like true stuff that gets me learning about how people could cope out with hard things. i like that its the dog telling it. cool review.
...hugs from lenny

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Lenny! Thanks for stopping by to check out my review of SECOND CHANCE. This is such a great story. I know you would enjoy reading it.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Too bad they didn't use different pictures if protecting privacy was the issue. Fuzzy pictures in a picture book would drive me nuts, especially if I didn't realize there was a reason for it.

Sounds like a good story, though. :D

Joylene Butler said...

Wonderful review. It's sad though that we live in a world that has to water-colour faces to protect their identity. Sounds like a wonderful story, all the same.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Very nice review for a lovely book. Everyone should know about the animals waiting in shelters for their forever homes.

Janet Johnson said...

Thank you for sharing! I have two nephews with autism (varying degrees), so I think this is great!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Stina. Thanks for stopping by to check out the book review.
```````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Joylene. Thanks for stopping by.
```````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Beverly. A forever home. That sounds so nice. Thanks for stopping by.
```````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Janet. Thanks for stopping by to check out the book review. It is a wonderful book.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. I agree we do learn from these novels .. I've read a few and have really appreciated the learning process - so thanks for highlighting "Second Chance" to us ..

Thanks - Hilary

Julie Musil said...

What a beautiful story! It's amazing how big an impact dogs have on our lives. Mine is cuddled next to me right now, and I love it. Thanks for the review.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...