Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Review of That Mama is a Grouch





That Mama is a Grouch

Written by Sherry Ellis

Illustrated by Don Berry

Published in May 2010

ISBN: 978-1-4505-3565-6

Published by CreateSpace



Synopsis of Book
In That Mama is a Grouch, an intelligent and very wise narrator reminds us in charming rhyme that mothers are human, most often loving, and that certain situations will guarantee driving them to their breaking point.  Children from three to seven will delight in this story of a mommy who’s nearly out of control, and they will learn the importance of something as simple as putting away toys.




My Review
That Mama is a Grouch is a delightful picture book for young children, ages 3 - 7.  It is about a little girl who scatters her toys all over the house without thought to anyone else's safety.  Even after several other mishaps, the little girl can't understand why her mama is such a grouch.  Does the house stay messy?  Does Mama stay a grouch?  I'm not going to tell.  You'll have to read this book to find out for yourself!

This is a story that any mother with children will identify with.  Who hasn't had to deal with toys scattered all over the house at one time or another?  Children will get the message about keeping their toys picked up without ever feeling they are being preached at.  Sherry Ellis does a wonderful job of getting an important message across  to young children, using rhyme in a fun way.  The wonderful illustrations, by Don Berry, compliment the story.

I think that teachers will also find this book helpful when teaching children the importance of keeping the classroom tidy and safe.

I don't have a young child to share this book with, but it did bring back some memories of times when I was a grouch to my son, when he'd leave his toys lying all over the place.  Perhaps if we'd had this book to read, we might have avoided some grouchy moments in my house.  I recommend all parents, grandparents, and teachers share this book with the young children in their life.




12 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

Sounds like a neat book. I remember being a grouch and I'm sure my kids remember also.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This looks adorable! :-)

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss susanne! sounds like a fun book. now someone could need to write one for when you get more older and leave your clothes all over the place. ha ha.
...hugs from lenny

SherryE said...

Thanks for the great review! I hope kids and parents really enjoy the book!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Roseanne, thanks for stopping by.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Shannon, thanks for stopping by.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Lenny! That sounds like an interesting idea for a book. Think it might help the older ones who leave clothes all over the floor?
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Sherry. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad I got a chance to host your book on my blog.

Lynda R Young said...

Sounds like a great book! :)
Also sounds like it's one the kids would enjoy.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

My kids need this book!!!! :D

Susan Hornbach said...

What a great idea for a children's book. I could have used this one a few years back, LOL! Wishing you great succes with it. Great review Susanne.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Lynda, I definitely think the kids will enjoy this one. Thanks for stopping by.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Stina! I think your kids will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Susan. Glad you had a chance to stop by and check out the review. It was a fun book to read.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Great review, Susanne. It looks like a fun book that will make kids chuckle,and perhaps see themselves in the story.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Beverly. Thanks for stopping by to check out the review.

Becca Puglisi said...

The title alone makes me want to run out and read this! And I'd like to see, based on the story, if my three-year-old daughter would think Mama is a grouch...

Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...