Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ten Questions with Cady B. Driver



My guest today is Cady B. Driver, the illustrator of I Love You, Be Careful.  The book's illustrations capture poignant memories and cause one to reflect on all the "Be Careful" moments in life and smile.

Cady paints portraits and murals, teaches art and donates her work to charitable organizations. She has also illustrated Icky, Sticky Pancake World by Patrick Wynn. You can view more of her work online at http://www.artbycady.com/ or contract her at Cady@ArtByCady.com. She currently resides in Raleigh, NC with her husband and three children.



Could you tell us a little about yourself?  

I am a stay-at-home mom and I homeschool my three kids, Chloe, age 11, Jacob, age 9 and Tirzah, age 8.  In my spare time, I illustrate children's books, paint murals, donate murals to sick kids and hospitals, and design, sell and exhibit watercolor art.  


Could you describe your workspace?  

I have a desk, bulletin board and easel set up in the corner of our schoolroom bonus room. Every time I walk by that room, my desk calls out to me to sit down and paint something!  :)  It's hard to resist it even when there are mounds of laundry to do.  


Do you also write or would you like to in the future?  

I do write.  I currently am a contributor to a large blog called Modestly Yours and I have an art blog of my own that I love to write on.  I have written some poetic children's verses and one children's book, but I haven't had the courage to send them anywhere yet.  Maybe sometime soon I will.


When did you first know you wanted to be an illustrator?

To be honest with you, I never really thought about being an illustrator.  I answered an ad on Craig's List from an author who needed an illustrator.  I thought it looked interesting and the author, after sifting through many illustrators, finally settled on my sketches.  


What kind of training prepared you for your career as an illustrator?

I am entirely self-taught.  I buy books and spend a lot of time practicing and painting to perfect my technique.

  
Who are some of your favorite children's illustrators?  

I love Eloise Wilkins' style of painting sweet children and I'm a huge fan of Jan Brett.  I greatly admire her attention to detail.  I would love to be as good as she is some day.  


What is the best advice you've ever received?  

Well, it would have to be a Bible verse...."whatsoever you do, do it with your whole heart as unto the Lord and not unto men."  


Can you describe the process you go through when illustrating a picture book?    

I do a LOT of thinking about a page before I actually start sketching out the idea.  For my current book about adoption, I actually went to the author's house and took pictures of the family to use as models for the book.  We did all sorts of poses in various different situations.  This helps me keep the characters' features uniform throughout the book. 


Can you share about any projects you are currently working on?  

I am currently working on a book called, The Gift by Bridget Knouse.  The Knouses are an amazing couple that have opened up their home to adoptive and foster children.  Bridget wanted to impart the concept of how an adopted child is truly a gift from God to his adoptive parents and how he is right where he is supposed to be in life.  It's a beautiful book and brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.


Is there anything else you'd like to share?  

Ultimately, I believe that God gives us talents and gifts in life to be used for a purpose and for God's glory.  Through donating my murals to sick kids and donating memory portraits to parents that have lost children, I hope to share God's love and compassion with others.  I would eventually like for my business to grow to the point where I can significantly donate to organizations such as Shoannah's Hope.  Shoannah's Hope helps sponsor families who would like to adopt, but cannot afford to.  It's an amazing ministry and the plight of orphans around the world is one that is close to my heart.




16 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Aww...that is so nice. What a great talent you have. I checked out the website and LOVE the murals you've done too!

Joylene Butler said...

Nice interview, Susanne and Cady. Love the name. I read "homeschool" and was awestruck. I can't imagine how you found the time. It's a noble profession and my hat's off.

Thanks, ladies.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for stopping by. I want to make sure I take another look at Cady's site. What I saw of her work was beautiful.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Joylene. Thanks for stopping by!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Wonderful interview. I enjoyed reading about how Cady works.

Congratulations on your books, Cady.

Karen Cioffi said...

Great interview. And, I checked out Cady's site - beautiful and skillfully done watercolors.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne and Cady .. some talent - love the pictures and the murals .. they're brilliant .. and what a talent .. and great that you're giving back to charity too ..

Fun .. thanks Susanne for a great artist find .. Have good Easters .. Hilary

Susan Hornbach said...

Susanne this was a wonderful interview. Cady sounds like an extraordinary woman. I was so taken with her artwork, and hope she is available when I need an illustrator. Her water colors reached out and grabbed my soul.

Lynda R Young said...

I enjoyed reading through the interview. I love that particular bible verse. It helps me too.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

What a lovely interview, Susanne and Cady! Illustrators always amaze me. I wish I had the gift of being an artist. :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Lots of writers are good artists. I love both. Nice to meet you Cady and best wishes for your continued success.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Beverly. Glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks for stopping by.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Karen. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview. I think Cady's work is beautiful.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Hilary. Cady's work is beautiful and I also think it is wonderful how she gives back to others. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Susan. Glad that you had the chance to stop by and check out the interview with Cady. Her artwork is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

terri.forehand said...

This was a great interview. I love the art you do, such a talent. I can only hope to have a children's book published someday soon so I can use an illustrator like yourself. Beautiful work.

Terri
http://terri-forehand.blogspot.com

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Lynda. Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the interview with Cady!
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Sharon. Thanks for stopping by!
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Stephen. Thanks for stopping by!
``````````````````````````````````````````````````

Hi, Terri. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the interview with Cady!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband is a graphic illustrator, and it's a talent one either has or doesn't have!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm jealous of artists who are self taught. I tried using Drawing for Dummies, but gave up after awhile. It had more to do with lack of time than anything else. Okay, lack of talent, too. :P

LTM said...

that is fantastic. I love the Bible verse, and I love how so many artists are also poets. Poetry is like pictures with words. Beautiful! Thanks, Susanne & Cady~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...