Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ten Questions with Judy Snider


Today's guest is Judy Snider.  She is one of the co-authors of I Love You, Be Careful, a gift picture book for adults.

Judy lives in Virginia Beach, Virginia with her husband, Gil, and two silly cats.  She is the author of the CWA award-winning children's book, Goldy's Baby Socks, and on a team of authors of The Sacred Purse.

Judy's sister, Joan Dickow, is also a co-author of I Love You, Be Careful.



Before we get to the actual interview, I'd like to share the book trailer to I Love You, Be Careful.



Hi, Judy.  Could you tell us a little about yourself?

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia with my husband and two silly cats. I have two great sons in their 20’s who live in different cities. I love to travel and love reading my books to children! I am a member of The Society of Children’s Book Writer’s and Illustrators, The Society of Children’s Book Writer’s and Illustrators, The Cat Writer’s Association, NASW, The Hampton Roads Writers, and The Cape Henry Writer’s with Cape Henry Collegiate.  I am the author of Goldy’s Baby Socks in English and Spanish, a fun picture book that came out in 2005. A group of women and I came out with The Sacred Purse a few years ago with stories about the different roles of women. I love chocolate and writing in a sunny spot in the room.
My sister, Joan lives in Michigan with her husband Fred, and her cat Coffee. She has grown children and grandchildren. She is a 20 year breast cancer survivor. Cady, our illustrator lives in North Carolina and has a husband and three children.

Could you describe your desk/workspace?
I have a sunny room I like to sit in that has a desk, bookshelves, a desktop computer, and a great view outside. My cats are curled up on the desk, and I have a phone and a plastic container of chocolate beside me. I have pictures of my family on most of the shelves and lots of children’s books. When I first write a story, it is on our family room couch on a legal pad with a pen…again a sunny room with our cats around.

Do you have a favorite quote?
Yes, two I like that go something like this:  Life will always change, you must adjust your sails, and bad things happen when good people do nothing…..
 
What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
Slow down…..slow down…..and hug those you love and tell them you love them every day you can!

If you could have coffee with anyone, who would it be and why?
I would love to have coffee with my parents and grandparents now at this age. So many things I would ask and tell them—and just to have more time as they are deceased!
I would love to have coffee with Hallmark book people, as we hope to have our book in their store someday!
I also would like to have coffee with Joanie, my other sister Mary,  my zany friends the Yo, Yo’s, and my writers group, and my sons…..wow, I want to have coffee with everyone….love my friends and family-zany bunch!

What are your three favorite books and why?
Somebody Loves you Mr. Hatch: It is about a man who gets a valentines, and finds out it was not for him…poignant children’s book, but happy ending….I love sentimental happy ending books! Love the Froggy Series by Jonathan London…kids giggle at those.
My husbands medical /political thriller, Brain Warp….Good book, and he is my husband and saw all the hard work he put into it.
Who You Were Meant to Be by Dr. Lindsay Gibson. A Guide to Finding or Recovering Your Life’s Purpose.

What was your favorite book as a child and why?
Nancy Drew. The Clock Mystery one. I still love suspense books and movies! Not gory, but suspense.

What are your current marketing strategies for your gift picture book for adults, I Love You, Be Careful?
- Gave book signing at Border’s in December, will do more
- Virginia Grenier did a wonderful book trailer on You Tube - will spread the word
- Facebook ads have been done
- Contacting bookstores to put it on their tables for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day
- Contacting bride sites as book perfect for brides or moms-to–be
- This current book tour with Virginia Grenier
- Contacted Hallmark to see if they would want it to be Hallmark book, which we think would be a great fit!
- Facebook our friends
- Put it in a writing contest that is decided in summer.
- Word of Mouth…asking friends to spread the word and websites

Could you share about any current writing projects?
Joan is working on a picture book called The Porch Fairy, and Cady Driver is illustrating another children’s book. (please see her website). I am not doing any new books, but working with author/scriptwriter Marsha Cook and my other sister Mary on a script project.
 For book questions: brainwarp@verizon.net

Where can people find your book, I Love You, Be Careful?
Amazon.com
Barnes and Noble.com
Borders.com
Xlibris for soft and hardcovers of Goldy’s Baby Socks and I Love You, Be Careful
** Goldy’s Baby Socks in English and Spanish by Judy Snider and Thomas Mcateer is Muse Award Winner
                   http://www.goldysbabysocks.com/
                   http://www.artbycady.com/

Judy, thank you for being here today.  I enjoyed getting to know you. 



You can find out more about Judy Snider and Joan Dickow's World of Ink Author/Book Tour schedule at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/JudySniderandJoanDickow.aspx.  There will be giveaways, reviews, interviews, guest posts and more.  Make sure to stop by and interact with the hosts at the different stops by leaving comments and/or questions.  Both Judy Snider and Joan Dickow will be checking in throughout the tour and you might even spot Cady B. Driver as well.

8 comments:

Joylene Butler said...

Silly cats I understand. We have 4 strays and a dog. Life is very interesting, especially since our oldest cat, Buster can't understand why we keep letting new cats in.

Wonderful to meet you, Judy. Best of luck with your work. Thanks, Susanne.

Ann Best said...

Thanks for your comment on my post about my daughter's surgery which brought me here to this very interesting guest post. I'm bookmarking this for future reference. I wish Judy the best of luck with promotion!
Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Joylene! Hi, Ann! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Hope you get a chance to stop by on Saturday, when I share an interview with the illustrator of I Love You, Be Careful.

Ebendy said...

Best of luck with your work.Great post.Plz do pass by my blog on freeing your mind, follow n comment to improve my works too.Thanks.

Talli Roland said...

Love the title of the book -- and I used to enjoy Nancy Drew, too!

Margo Berendsen said...

Great quotes - loved "adjust your sails" - and you really can't beat writing in a sunny room with cats!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Ebendy. I stopped by your blog and left a comment. Thank you for coming by to check out my blog and thanks for leaving a coment so I knew you were here.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Talli. I liked reading Nancy Drew, too! Thanks for stopping by.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hi, Margo. Thanks for stopping by!

Stephen Tremp said...

I can relate to slow down and hug people. That's what we'll be doing while the kids are out for spring break. Nice to meet you, Judy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...