Friday, May 20, 2011

Ten Questions with Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz



Today my guest is author Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz.  She lives in the rural Pacific Northwest with her husband, two small dogs, and three cats.  Penny has published more than 100 articles, 75 stories, two e-books, a chapbook, and her stories have also been included in two anthologies.  She enjoys writing for both children and adults. 


Hi, Penny.  Could you tell us a little about yourself?

I am a wife, a mother, and a grandmother.  I’ve lived a full and interesting life, having started my journey on the east coast and culminating on the west coast.  I’ve enjoyed a variety of interests over my lifetime including yoga, motorcycling, gardening, crocheting, crafting, reading, and of course, writing.  My husband and I have three cats and two dogs, Lhasa Apso/Poodle mix.  We enjoy spending time with friends and family and cooking and eating a wide selection of ethnic foods.


Could you describe your desk/workspace?

I have several areas where I enjoy working.  In the summer, I take my laptop into my garden to work.  On cold, rainy days, I will often work in my “comfy” chair with my legs up on a hassock and my dogs draped across my legs. Other times, I actually have a small office where my desktop computer is located.  There, I am surrounded by writing related books stacked on my bookshelves, my various “can’t do without” reference books, supplies, and plenty of desk space.  On the walls, I have photos of my children, grandchild, husband and friends.  Of course, I also have my lucky bamboo in a hand-made pitcher crafted by my talented daughter.


Do you have a favorite quote?

Yes, but I don’t remember who said it in the first place.  “These things, too, shall pass.” They always do.


What is the best advice you've ever received?

Believe in yourself.  As a young writer, I had no confidence and after the first few rejections, I basically gave up writing, except for my own enjoyment.  I wish I knew then what I know now.  It isn’t just about how well you write, although that’s certainly important.  Many times, it’s about being in the right place, at the right time, with the right story.  It’s important to believe in your ability to create a good story.  When you’ve edited the story to the best of your ability, send it off, don’t file it away because you think you’re not good enough.


If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

Good question.  I would like to have coffee with you.  You have been supportive of me since we first “met” online.  You are always stopping by my blog and leaving comments.  You support other writers on your own blog.  I always see you commenting on various forums.  I think it would be great to get to know you better and on a more personal level.


Thanks, Penny.  What are your top three favorite books and why?

Right now, I am very much into fantasy and magic, so my top three authors are Jim Butcher, Kim Harrison, and Devon Monk.  I would hate to say which are my three favorite books simply because I don’t think I could pick three out of the thousands I’ve read since I was a child.  I rarely dislike a book complete, but there are definitely many I’ve enjoyed immensely. 


What was your favorite book as a child and why?

My favorite childhood book was Black Beauty.  I loved horses as a child, but my mother could only afford occasional riding lessons.  Reading about Black Beauty was an intense experience for me.  I loved the characters and the way the book was written. 


What are your current marketing strategies for A Past and A Present?

I have contacted my friends and family and informed them of the book’s release.  I post regularly on Facebook and Twitter.  I did an intensive blog tour in February.  I have contacted local bookstores, libraries, and high schools.  I talk up the book whenever I have the opportunity.


Where can people find your book, A Past and A Present?

Sam’s Dot Publishing recently switched to a new site for their books.  A Past and A Future, while available in print edition, is only available through Sam’s Dot Publishing at http://sdpbookstore.com/anthologies.htm.  The site was recently developed and I hope it will be improved.  There is no search button on the site, so you have to scroll through the anthologies to find A Past and A Future.  I noticed it still states the book would be released in October and one can preorder.  This is an error and the book is now available.  It’s my understanding Sam’s Dot Publishing does plan to release a number of their books on Smashwords, but it will be awhile before that occurs.


Is there anything else you'd like to share?

Yes, people can read more about me on my website and blog.
http://pennylockwoodehrenkranz.yolasite.com/

The direct buy link for A Past and A Future is here 
http://sdpbookstore.com/anthologies.htm

Ghost for Rent is my middle grade paranormal mystery and is available from
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8656/?si=0

Love Delivery, a contemporary romance is coming August, 2011
Lady in Waiting, an historical romance is coming November, 2011
Mirror, Mirror, a time-travel romance is coming December, 2011
All from MuseItUp Publishing at https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2

Funny Dog, a picture book, is coming May, 2012
Ghost for Lunch, the sequel to Ghost for Rent, and also a MG paranormal mystery is coming September, 2013
Many Colored Coats, a picture book, is coming October, 2014
Boo's Bad Day, a picture book, is coming June, 2015
All from 4RV Publishing, LLC at  http://4RVpublishingllc.com/Childrens_Books.html



Thanks, Penny, for a great interview.  I've enjoyed hosting you on my blog this week.


26 comments:

Deb Hockenberry said...

Hi Susanne & Penny,
This was a great interview! I'm going to have to check out those three authors you mentioned, Penny. When I want fantasy or magic, I usually head straight for J.K. Rowling or Terry Brooks!

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Susanne, thank you so much for hosting me this week. You've always been so supportive of writers and I appreciate all you do for us. You are indeed a special friend.

Deb, do check them out. They are more along the lines of magic, witches, wizards and paranormal, e.g., vampires, fairies, etc.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Deb! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. It was fun learning new things about Penny. She is quite a versatile author. I look forward to reading more of her work.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Penny. It was fun hosting you on my blog this week. I enjoyed reading A Past and a Future and I look forward to reading more of your work.

Joylene Butler said...

I'm so happy for your success, Penny. Well deserved. Thanks for sharing your time with us. And thank you, Susanne.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Wonderful interview, Susanne, as always.

Wow, Penny, congratulations on all your forthcoming books. They sound awesome.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Joylene. Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview with Penny. Have a great weekend!

Hi, Beverly. Glad you enjoyed the interview. Have a great weekend!

Janet Johnson said...

I agree with what she said about you. You are so supportive of others and generous in promoting their work!

Great interview!

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Joylene and Bev, thanks for stopping by. It's always a pleasure to "see" you and I appreciate your well-wishes. Thanks again, Susanne for all your support.

Stephen Tremp said...

My kids love Black Beauty. They have the books, a DVD, and a cartoon DVD of Black Beauty. It is a powerful story that will be around for generations to come.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Great interview. And she has cats!
I think all of need a dose of faith in ourselves.

Karen Cioffi said...

Hi, Susanne and Penny.

Wonderful interview.

I write children's fantasy and have to check out a couple of the authors I didn't know about. In fact, I'll be starting on a sequel to my book coming out July 1st.

My favorite books as a kid was the Nancy Drew series.

Thanks for sharing.

Jackee said...

Penny has such great advice! I need to remember that writing is for the enjoyment and the rejections just are the perfect time/place/person. :o)

Thanks for sharing, ladies!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Janet. Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy hosting authors on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi, Stephen. Black Beauty is a wonderful book. I have a copy on my bookshelf. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi, Diane, glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi, Karen. I read Nancy Drew, too. I wish I still had the books. Good luck with your sequel. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi, Jackee. Check out Penny's blog. She has some great posts. Thanks for stopping by!

Roseanne Dowell said...

Great interview, Penny. It was fun learning more about you.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Roseanne! Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview with Penny.

Pat McDermott said...

Very enjoyable interview, ladies. Penny, you are one busy and inspiring writer. You'd have to have more than one writing space! I wish you the best with your upcoming releases.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Pat. Glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks for stopping by!

Talli Roland said...

Believe in yourself is the best piece of advice ever! Great interview, ladies.

Lynda R Young said...

great interview. I love your favourite quote -- it has come in handy many times ;)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Talli! Hi, Lynda! Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview with Penny. Have a great week!

Donea Lee said...

Thanks, Penny & Susanne. Great interview!

Penny, congrats on your book release. :) Love your answer for best advice and who you'd like to have coffee with - so nice!

Susanne - thanks for supporting a fellow writer!! Always so awesome to see.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Donea! So glad you enjoyed the interview. I enjoy helping get the word out about other authors and their books. Thanks for stopping by.

S.Durham said...

Well I'm just a tad late to the party, but is anyone surprised?:) Penny it was wonderful to learn more about your life, and I have a better picture now of where you do all that 'patient editing', and talented writing.

I think we should definitely have coffee:) but maybe after we get through the first round of edits for my current book:):):)

I'm really looking forward to your stories coming in August and November! I can't wait:)

Cheers, Sara

S.Durham said...

Hi Penny! I'm a tad late to the party, but is anyone surprised?:) It was wonderful getting to know more about your life, and now I have a better picture of where you do all that 'patient editing' and talented writing.

I think we should definitely have coffee:) but maybe after we get through the first round of edits for may current work:):):)

I'm really looking forward to Love Delivery and Lady In Waiting! Can't wait:)

Cheers, Sara

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Sara! Glad you were able to stop by and check out the interview I did with Penny. You aren't late. I always keep plenty of cyber goodies on hand. : ) Thanks for following my blog. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...