Saturday, July 30, 2011

Christmas in July with Jolie Pethtel



Jolie Pethtel was born in Ohio, but raised in Arizona, where she met her husband Jim. Jolie has since moved to Indianapolis, Indiana where she lives with her husband and their six rambunctious children. Jolie is a Domestic Goddess by day and Writer by night.

Could you tell me a little about yourself?

I'm a married mother of six kids ranging from ages 4 to 14. I love to read and write both mystery and paranormal, adult and young adult. My best inspiration comes from thunderstorms and I used to love dancing in the warm Arizona rain (when we were lucky enough to get some). Now that I live in Indiana, I don't do it anymore. It's too cold, but I still enjoy the view.


When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

In second grade, when I wrote my first story. I'm one of the lucky ones who have always known what they wanted to be. 


What genres do you write and why?

My upcoming release is a romantic mystery/comedy. I think everyone loves a good twist. Mostly though, I write paranormals. I've been fascinated with the supernatural for as long as I remember. I write both adult and YA.


What's a typical writing day like for you?

Absolute chaos, particularly during the summer. Kids screaming and running around, neighbors wanting to come over and play. I really do my best writing late at night while they're sleeping and usually don't stop until the sun comes up.

 
Do you outline before you write?

If not, what's your initial process? I'm mostly a pantser. I get a basic story idea in my mind and usually the story writes itself. I do keep some notes, especially if there some research involved, but there are times when the characters over rule my plans and alter the story to suit themselves. While I don't always actively plot, I do try to be thorough with my research. I recently killed a watermelon with a set of kitchen knives to see if a particular murder scene would be realistic. After I removed the knives, the kids ate the entire thing. Sometimes writing can be fun for the whole family :) 


What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

I love my kids dearly, but all the interruptions are a distraction. I keep vampire hours to get some quiet time to write. It's definitely not a job.


What are your top three favorite books and why?

That's a tough one. I love to read. I'm reading the Hunger Games trilogy right now and it's really good. I also love Mary Janice Davidson's undead series and I read a lot of young adult paranormals.


What do you like to do when you aren't writing? 

Besides reading, I love digital photography, especially taking pictures of my kids and altering them with special effects.


If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

It's an intriguing question, but I couldn't choose just one. It's just as well. I don't like coffee lol.


Do you set daily, weekly, or yearly goals for yourself?

If so, what are some of your goals? I don't usually put a date on it, but I do have a list of goals. My first goal was to get published, which I've finally done. Painted Jezebel is coming out as an e-book in September. I'd like to see it in print also. My next goal is to finish and submit the sequel Poison Pens to my publisher. Then there are also a few other projects on hold I'd like to get back to and get published, including a paranormal YA series. All at once it's overwhelming, but taking one thing at a time makes it possible.


Do you have any unique ways to market your book that's different from how other authors are marketing their books?

My kids already talk up every adult they see about their mom the author. I imagine when the book comes out they won't rest until every teacher owns a copy.


What are you currently working on that readers will have to look forward to in the future?

Poison Pens is the second Jezebel Jinx Mystery. I'm hoping to have it in to my publisher before Painted Jezebel comes out if possible, so maybe a blurb about the new book could be added.


Do you have any final thoughts to share?

Don't be afraid of rejection. If you want to write, then write and submit. I waited too long because I was afraid no one would like my work. I know I could have been published much sooner if I had more faith in myself. As for rejection, if it happens, learn from it and try again. Fix what's wrong and resubmit. Don't ever give up on your dreams. 



Painted Jezebel

A Romantic Comedy/Mystery

Set for release September 2011

MuseItUp Publishing
www.museituppublishing.com



BLURB
Publicist Finn Mackenzie has always been lucky, until an ill-fated affair with a vindictive writer leaves him one chance for redemption, a spectacular public appearance by the elusive best-selling romance author, Jezebel Jinx.

Unfortunately, the cute but kooky writer refuses to cooperate. Jezebel believes she’s cursed with bad luck. Riddled with anxieties, she never leaves her home— until the gorgeous, albeit desperate Finn whisks her away to a writer’s conference, against her will.

After the initial shock wears off, Jezebel’s dormant hormones kick into high gear around the hunky Finn—who’s recently sworn off the horizontal tango with writers.

When his ex turns up murdered and Jezebel is the prime suspect, ill-planned sexcapades are the least of their worries.






Today's giveaway is provided by Jolie Pethtel.  It is (1) Peridot butterfly necklace and earring set.

This will be available to U.S., Canada and International


12 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne and Jolie .. six children - I cringe ... no I have a friend who has six .. and they sort themselves out a great deal and are such fun.

How you have the energy to write til dawn - I don't know .. but then passion does funny things!

Enjoy your summer and I love your periodot giveaway .. it looks a beautiful set .. good luck with the book ... Happy weekends both of you - Hilary

Joylene Butler said...

I started writing when my 5 sons were small. I'd stay up late at night hammering away on a wonderful IBM typewriter. Bet that ages me. LOL. But when you have a desire, you just do what you can to feed it. Kudos to you, Jolie.

Chelle Cordero said...

Hilary beat me to it - SIX kids! wow, how do you ever find the time to write? LOL. Very intriguing blurb.

Chelle
http://ChelleCordero.com

Cheryl said...

Great interview. You and my husband would get along well. He takes tons of photos of the kids.

This book sounds fascinating. Best of luck.

Cheryl

cg20pm00(at)gmail(dot)com

Marlena Cassidy said...

Hi Susanne, Jolie!

Murdering a watermelon with kitchen knives sounds amazing. I should start writing murder mysteries. And I really like the way Painted Jezebel sounds. I'll have to go check it out.

Best of luck with Poison Pens!

Scarlett Jo said...

Nice mom lol awesome book as i know cuz i read it luv u

Roseanne Dowell said...

We have something in common besides writing, six children. Of course my are grown with kids of their own. I still live in OH, so we're sort of neighbors. I also love mystery and paranormal - mostly ghost - and of course mine are all romance. I used to write a night a lot also. Ah the peace and quiet. My muse must have liked that because I'm often jerked awake in the middle of the night with an idea and I've learned not to wait until morning. Sometimes it's just a sentence that I have to write down, which then leads to half the night or better. I love the sound of your book and you can bet it'll be on my to buy list. Mystery/romance/comedy rolled into one. What more could a person ask for. I admire authors who can write humor. I've tried and just can't seem to do it. I manage a few lines once in the while but that's about it. I love the butterfly necklace and earrings. Did you make them? If so we have something else in common, although I've never tried anything as elaborate as the necklace. Not sure if I'm supposed to leave my email address but here it is - rodow62 at yahoo dot com

Laura Ann Dunks said...

I'm so glad you finally got published. I hope you finish the paranormal YA as that is definitely my thing. I love the jewellery!

Laura xxx

Eva said...

Very excited to get to read this. Jolie you sound like your life is a never ending source of excitement! Hope and pray for more good luck for you!!

Keep writing!

Nia Shay said...

Great interview Jolie :-) Just dropping by for moral support, no need to enter me in the contest. Love ya and can't wait to read the final version of the story.

mona-karel.com said...

Loved your e-mail: please excuse any typos im typing on a barbie size keyboard in the middle of hell...ummm i mean having a lovely time camping during this heatwave with my hubby, neighbor and 9 kids
NINE KIDS? As if your own six weren't enough distraction? You, woman, are either a saint or insane. Come to think of it, most of the saints were insane and a lot of us writers are as well.
Painted Jezebel sounds like my kind of insanity - looking forward to reading it!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by to check out the interview with Jolie. Thanks for all the great comments everyone left.

Jolie, thanks for participating in Christmas in July!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...