Thursday, September 22, 2011

Misspelled Words

Have you ever found yourself mispelling misspelling words, because they’re not always spelled the way they sound? Silent letters can really throw a person off of their game when it comes to spelling.

See if you can find the correct spelling from each set of words. Now don’t cheat and look them up in the dictionary and don't go to the end to see what the answers are until after you made your choices.

1. (a) dumbell
    (b) dumbbell
    (c) dummbell

2. (a) cemetery
    (b) cematery
    (c) cemetary

3. (a) perogative
    (b) perogitive
    (c) prerogative

4. (a) posession
    (b) possesion
    (c) possession

5. (a) accommodate
    (b) acommodate
    (c) acomodate

6. (a) garantee
    (b) guarantee
    (c) guarante

7. (a) consensis
    (b) consensus
    (c) consenssus

8. (a) greatfully
    (b) gratefuly
    (c) gratefully



Answers:
1. (b) dumbbell
2. (a) cemetery
3. (c) prerogative
4. (c) possession
5. (a) accommodate
6. (b) guarantee
7. (b) consensus
8. (c) gratefully


So how did you do? Share your results in the comments.

4 comments:

Sharon Sullivan-Craver said...

This is why I keep a dictionary at arms length. LOL And the computer is always helpful if you can find the right dictionary online.
I always second guess myself and should leave well enough alone.

Joylene said...

Yay, I got 'em right. But that's because none of them are spelt differently in Canada. When it comes to words that are spelt a certain way in America and Britain and Canada, I'll confess, sometimes I get confused.

IE

Jewellry
Jewelry
Jeweler

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. two I hate to say! Dumbbell and Prerogative .. not words I use .. - wasn't sure if prerogative had an R at the beginning or not .. and those double letter words in the middle like granddaughter .. always stop me! Cheers - good exercise .. Hilary

Margo Berendsen said...

So I honestly thought I knew how to spell all those words, but then the options you gave made me start second-guessing myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...