Monday, February 27, 2012

Guest Post by Stephen Tremp

Today's guest post is by California author Stephen Tremp.  His recently released action suspense thriller OPENING is the second book in the Breakthrough Series.


The Kepler Spacecraft: Identifying Goldilocks Zones, or habitable zones where life can exist and thrive on other planets, is important as we look for earth-sized terrestrial planets outside our Solar System, and perhaps, for extra-terrestrial life. In 2009, NASA launched the Kepler spacecraft , a space observatory with a mission to find earth-like planets orbiting stars. The Kepler spacecraft detects and analyzes the periodic dimming of the planets as they cross in front of their mother star.

The mission is to survey a particular region of our Milky Way, discover planets orbiting in habitable zones, and then approximate how many of the billions of stars in our galaxy might have these potentially habitable planets in their solar systems. As of the end of 2011, 2,326 extra-solar candidates have been identified. Astronomer Seth Shostak estimates "within a thousand light-years of Earth," there are "at least 30,000" habitable planets.” Also based on the findings, the Kepler team has estimated that there are "at least 50 billion planets in the Milky Way", of which "at least 500 million" are in the habitable zone.

In fact, on January 26, 2012, NASA announced the Kepler mission discovered 11 new planetary systems hosting 26 confirmed planets. The planets range in size from 1.5 the radius of earth to larger than Jupiter. Further observation and analysis is needed to determine if these planets are rocky like earth or gaseous like Neptune.

Golden Age of Exoplanet Discovery: In September, 2011 “Fifty new alien worlds, including 16 "super Earths," have been found—the largest extrasolar planet haul announced at one time.” This is looking more and more like a golden age of exoplanet discovery.

Where Do We Go From Here? The SETI Institute aimed antennas in this direction of our galaxy and combed this area for signals over one small slice of the radio dial. Nothing yet from these extraterrestrial planets. But stay tuned (no pun intended).

According to Seth, “There's promise. If we crudely do the numbers, these early results from Kepler indicate that approximately 3 percent of all stars could boast a habitable planet. Within a thousand light-years of Earth -- a distance that could be bridged by transmitters no more powerful than equipment we ourselves can build.”

So what would we find if we were able to visit some of these exoplanets? Certainly, they would be a diverse bunch. Astronomers have found one planet as light and airy as Styrofoam, for example, and another as dense as iron. They've discovered several alien worlds that orbit two suns, like Luke Skywalker's home planet of Tatooine in the "Star Wars" films.

Please take a moment to look at these Artist Sketches of these strange alien planets that astronomers have found.

Want to keep abreast of the latest and greatest on the Kepler Space Mission? Yep. There’s an app for that! Pretty cool if you ask me. There's also NASA's Kepler Site you can follow for the latest and greatest!




Question: Do you think there is intelligent life outside our Earth (this assumes there is intelligent life here). If so, do you think they’re also looking at us?




Stephen Tremp has a B.A. in information systems and an MBA degree in global management.  He has a background in information systems, management, and finance and draws from their varied and complex experiential knowledge to write one-of-a-kind thrillers.
His novels are enhanced by current events at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and other scientific research facilities around the world.  These potential advances have the ability to change the way we perceive our universe and our place in it!

You can visit Stephen Tremp at Breakthrough Blogs

If you have kids, click on the Science For Youth link.  Stephen makes learning about science lots of fun!

42 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Hi Stephen, hi Susanne! I hope there is intelligent life out there and maybe we are of some interest to them! Oh I do like the artist sketches of these planets - very beautiful!

Take care
x

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks Susanne for hosting me today! I love this topic. We are living in such exciting times and making new discoveries at every turn.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I doubt we'll find that intelligent life during our lifetime.

Laura Marcella said...

Hi, Stephen! This is such an interesting post. I love anything about the solar system and planets! I do think there's other life out there. While I don't know if they're looking at us, I'm sure they're looking for us, too!

Maryann Miller said...

Interesting article. I had no idea that there could be a planet as light as Styrofoam. I am going to forward a link to the blog to some of my kids who are really into science, especially related to astronomy.

To answer your question. I do believe there is life on other planets and I believe they know we are here, too.

Christopher Hudson said...

I'm still looking for intelligent life on earth.

Johanna Garth said...

So cool. Isn't it amazing to think of other life forms out there looking for us?

I think we'd have to be pretty egotistical to assume we are the only form of intelligent life.

Bob Sanchez said...

Hi Steve and Susanne,
Thanks for the good post. I think it's highly likely that intelligent life exists through much of the universe, and highly unlikely that we'll prove it.

By the way, I just bought Opening for my Kindle.

Joylene said...

Since I was small I've always believed there was life on other planets. I never thought we would gain so much knowledge so quickly, though we have a long way to go. The whole idea of life on other planets is fascinating. Believing makes the whole thing more exciting. Like Moldar used to say, "Believe".

Morgan Mandel said...

The idea of other intelligent life out there is kind of scary on the one hand and kind of nice on the other. There are so many planets and stars out there it boggles the mind!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Susanne Drazic said...

I want to say hello to everyone who has stopped by.

Stephen, I'm very happy to have my blog be a stop on your Grand OPENING Tour. Thanks for sharing such an interesting guest post.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet they've already looked at us and crossed us off their list!

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by! I love this topic and the comments people leave. Never a dull moment when discussing something we're starting to scratch the surface of but really do not understand.

Stephen Tremp said...

And thanks Bob for your interest in OPENING! I;m confident you won't be disappointed.

Joylene, a lot of people do believe. Just look at the popular movies and TV shows about other life in the universe.

Morgan, that's the $64,000 question. If there is life out there, is it friend or foe?

Susanne, glad to have you aboard!

Alex, you're probably right hahaha.

Ciara said...

I hope there is something out there. They are hopefully peaceful and intelligent creatures that have not ruined their planet. :)

LTM said...

Ahh, yes I do, Stephen! I actually use a tiny bit of this in that SF I was hand-wringing about today on the blog. My aliens are hiding on Earth on their way back to their planet... but that's all I can say.

Other than this is great stuff for me! :o) Thanks~

Mason Canyon said...

Great post. I'd like to think there's intelligent life somewhere else. Maybe they're searching for us as hard as we're searching for them, but I don't think we'll ever find each other.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

It's so exciting to have all these discoveries going on in this life time. I wish I could revisit in another couple of lifetimes and see how we've done!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Wow, this is great. I'm going to have to pass the info on to my kids.

Good luck with the book, Stephen. :D

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Stephen, I learn the most interesting things from you. Yes, I do believe there's someone out there. Wish we would hear from them though I don't think we're ready to meet them.

Stephen Tremp said...

Ciara, much unlike us.

LTM, thanks for the sneak preview.

Mason, maybe its better this way.

Jemi, my sentiments exactly.

Stina, thanks for the well wishes!

Susan, we'd probably screw up an encounter anyway.

Sarah Pearson said...

I think they found us, then ran away again!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I like Sarah Pearson's answer. Enjoyed this post Stephen. Thanks Susanne.

KarenG said...

Stephen's books are the kinds my kids would have LOVED as teens. Best wishes, Stephen, on your new release!

Angela Ackerman said...

I don't write sci-fi, but when I read it, I am always amazed at the creativity. But then how could one not find inspiration in the vast world beyond our atmosphere?

Congrats on Stephen's new book--wishing him much luck and success!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Stephen always has loads of interesting things to teach us.

Susanne Drazic said...

Good afternoon to everyone who has stopped by!

KarenG - my son is not big on reading, but I think he my find he'd like to read Stephen's books because they are full of action and suspense.

Ella said...

Great post Stephen! I do think there is intelligent life or higher life forms than us. Are they watching...you bet
;D

Well done~

Rek said...

There is intelligent life out there, the fact that they don't bother to contact us is proof... :)
I am keeping track of the Kepler Mission, its exciting to see what the astronomers come up with.
Good luck with your books.

Stephen Tremp said...

I have a couple upcoming posts on Nasa and NASA for kids. The agency is doing its best to promote itself among adults and our youth among all the budget cuts and the shuttling of the Space Shuttle Program. Kudos to NASA!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Stephen and Susanne - what an amazing post - especially amongst Capn Ninja's posts .. but I'm behind!

Interesting differences in that there sky up there .. light as a feather and as heavy as anything ..

I don't think so .. and therefore no I don't think they'll be looking at us .. but if I'm eyeballed in a minute I'll be upset!

Cheers Hilary

Jai Joshi said...

So cool! Stuff like this always fascinates me - 16 new super Earths! It's amazing but it's really not so amazing at the same time. It's just what the more wacky of us always suspected, that there's much more out than we think there is.

Jai

Susan Fields said...

Hi Stephen and Susanne! Yes, I do think there's intelligent life out there, even more so after reading this post!

Medeia Sharif said...

Interesting spacecraft and mission. It's good to know there are habitable planets out there.

I do believe in intelligent life elsewhere.

Stephen Tremp said...

Hilary, that would be upsetting.

Jai, maybe these people weren't so wacky after all.

Susan, thanks for your take.

Medeia, what about intelligent life here on Earth?

SherryE said...

What a really interesting post! I've often wondered if there's intelligent life out there. The universe seems too big for there not to be!

Kimberly said...

This is my all time favorite blog post! Ever! I really love anything to do with space and the solar system. Thanks Susanne and Stephen. I downloaded the kindle version of Opening and looking forward to reading it.

Neesa Technologies Ltd said...

Its really nice post.

Thanks for sharing this information which is useful for all.

php web development

Lynda R Young said...

The universe is so huge that it seems logical that life can be found elsewhere.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Susanne, Thanks for hosting Stephen! I also think that there's intelligent life out there. Hopefully, they will become friendly bloggers like Stephen and Alex! Julie

Susanne Drazic said...

Good morning to everyone who has stopped by! Today I'll be over at Stephen's blog, doing my first guest post. I hope you'll get a chance to stop by and check it out.

Kimberly, OPENING is a great book. I can't wait for Stephen's next book in the series to come out.

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks Susanne for hosting me. Its been fun and I met a lot of great people!

Sherry, it is a big place, bot only in space but in time.

Kimberly, glad you liked it!

Lynda, Spock could not have said it better.

Empty Nester, alien blogging buddies. I like it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...