Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blogging From A to Z Challenge - G


This will be a walk down memory lane, so to speak. The majority of the books I will be blogging about were acquired during my son's childhood. I will be blogging about children's, MG, and Tween books that are on the bookshelves, with a few being found on the Kindle for PC. The titles will either have words that correspond with the letter of the day, will be on a topic that corresponds with the letter of the day or both. As I'm finding a couple of the letters a bit challenging, I may need to borrow a book or two from the library to complete the challenge.

 Today is Saturday, April 7th.  Today is the 7th day of the Blogging From A to Z Challenge.  Today's books are about Grandpa and Giving.  Today's letter is G.  
 

We're Very Good Friends, My Grandpa and I

by P.K. Hallinan

My son received this book on his first birthday.  It was a gift from his Grandpa and Grandma H.






The Giving Tree

by Shel Silverstein

This was a Christmas present for my son from an aunt and uncle.  My son has since acquired other books by Silverstein.








QUESTION OF THE DAY:  Do you have a favorite book by Shel Silverstein?


21 comments:

Lindi said...

I do remember The Giving Tree. I have not heard of the Grandpa book. I wonder is there one about Grandmas?

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

I love all the Shel Silverstein books. I turn to them often for words of wit and wisdom. I'd like to do a drama camp on his work, acting them out, playing with words the way he did. They're brilliant!

Play off the Page

M.J. Fifield said...

I always loved "Light In the Attic." I had several of those poems memorized as a kid. I still remember some of them.

Rena said...

A Light in the Attic. My Kindergarten teacher used to read from that book to us everyday.

Love it.

A to Zer!

prose-spective.blogspot.com

Cheryl Klarich said...

I'm actually not so familiar with Shel Silverstein, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

He seems like a wealth of humor and wisdom. :)

Kelly said...

Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge. Where the Sidewalk Ends was a fave :)

SherryE said...

I love the Giving Tree. It's one of my favorite books. We have Silverstein's 3-book collection. Where the Sidewalk Ends has a lot of funny poems. My son thinks they're great!

Robyn Campbell said...

Shel Silverstein is super fantastic! I love all his books and always try to get each one as they come out. My favorite? Don't Bump the Glump! But really all of them.

Great G post. *waving*

Donna McDine said...

What fond memories these books must bring you. Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly said...

These look great. We have Where the Sidewalk Ends also. Great book of poems.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't think I've ever read any of his books.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I loved the Giving Tree and Light in the Attic. I used them in my classroom all the time. :)

Donna McDine said...

Happy Easter!

Best regards,
Donna

Margo Kelly said...

Where the Sidewalk Ends ... for sure! :)

I'm a new follower from the AtoZ Challenge. Nice to meet you!

Angela Ackerman said...

What a great way to take at rip down memory lane :)

Hope you had a great Easter!

Arlee Bird said...

I know my kids had some of Silverstein's books when they were little but now I don't remember what they were. I should because I used to read those books to them back then. I may even have the books around the house somewhere.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Lynda R Young said...

I think I actually remember the Giving Tree. Wonderful book.

Tracy said...

Love The Giving Tree!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello to everyone who has stopped by to visit my blog! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope everyone is having a great time participating in the A to Z Challenge.

Jen said...

A Giraffe and a Half was my favorite. I love your idea for the A to Z challenge. I know a few of these books, but some I've never heard of.

Kaye Draper said...

Good memories. I still have A Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and the Giving Tree. If you haven't read them, you're missing out. When I was in elementary school we always fought over who got to check them out next at the school library!
The Giving Tree always makes me cry though.....

kayedraper-writeme.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...