Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blogging From A to Z Challenge - O


This will be a walk down memory lane, so to speak. The majority of the books I will be blogging about were acquired during my son's childhood. I will be blogging about children's, MG, and Tween books that are on the bookshelves, with a few being found on the Kindle for PC. The titles will either have words that correspond with the letter of the day, will be on a topic that corresponds with the letter of the day or both. As I'm finding a couple of the letters a bit challenging, I may need to borrow a book or two from the library to complete the challenge.


Today is Tuesday, April 17th.  Today is the 15th day of the A to Z Challenge.  Today's letter is O.

 Silent Observer

Written and Illustrated by Christy MacKinnon


We bought this book at a used book sale that my son's elementary school had.   
 
I must admit that this is one of those books that has sat on our bookshelf for years without us ever reading it.  My son never showed an interest in it and we had so many other books that I guess I never gave it the time needed to read it.
 
I recently took the time to read Silent Observer and found it to be an interesting book about the author and her early years as a deaf child.  She lost her hearing in 1891, at the age of two, from a bout of "Winter Fever."  

As a child, Christy loved to explore the farm she lived on.  Christy, her brothers and her sisters all had daily chores.  There was much happiness and joy, but there was also sadness.  Their mother died while giving birth and a sibling died from typhoid fever. 
 
Although this book is written and illustrated by the author, Christy MacKinnon, it was not put together until years later, after her death in 1981.  Ms. MacKinnon's niece, Inez MacKinnon Simeone completed the manuscript and the layout of the book in September 1992. 
 
 
 
QUESTION OF THE DAY:  Do you know what "Winter Fever" is?
 
(You will find the answer to the above question in the first comment box below.)


17 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Do you know what "Winter Fever" is?

ANSWER: Whooping cough

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. I didn't know what Winter Fever is .. but I've had it!! I wonder if she had measles and became deaf because of that .. though it could have been anything at the end of the 1800s.

Interesting book .. and great that her niece published it - well worth it - I'd have thought.

Cheers - I like your O for Silent Observer .. Hilary

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Hilary! Thanks for stopping by. I don't know if the author ever had measles or not. According to the book, she lost her hearing because she had been sick with the "Winter Fever" otherwise known as whooping cough.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Whooping cough. I hear it's having a come back, so they're vaccinating for it, again. That story sounds sad, yet interesting. Kind of like the "Greyfriars Bobby" book that my Bobby didn't want to read, either. Our sensitive boys don't want to dwelll on sad things.

Play off the Page

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Had to scroll down for the answer - never heard it called winter fever before.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I had no idea whooping cough was called winter fever. I learn something new each day.

My closet right now has some books that I've had for ages and have never read. I must get busy. They're probably great ones.

Nice post.

hayles77 said...

Never heard whooping cough called that either. This sounds like a nice cheery book! Not sure if it's for me, considering I can cry at the drop of a hat! I have been know to find it difficult to get through reading the simplest of stories to my girls. I'm not going to tell you which ones though- toooooo embarrassing! :-)

Rosalind Adam said...

What a sad story. I didn't know what Winter Fever was either.

DL Hammons said...

I'm like the others....never heard Whooping Cough referred to as Winter Fever before. True to form during A to Z...learn something new everyday! :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'd never heard of winter fever until now. Wonder how it got that name.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by to check out my post for the letter O.

Ever since I made the post this morning, mentioning "winter fever," I've wanted to learn more about it myself.

Through some research, I found that "winter fever" was probably also influenza or pneumonia.

In the 1890's there were several diseases that were prevalent. There was diphtheria, measles, scarlet fever, and smallpox.

Fom what I understand of the information I read, "winter fever" may have been used to explain several different illnesses/diseases.

Lynda R Young said...

I'd not heard of winter fever before either.

Jemi Fraser said...

Very interesting. Sounds like an intriguing book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sad she never saw her book become a reality. Glad her niece made it happen though.

Arlee Bird said...

Interesting topic, but I guess it wouldn't reach out and grab a kid. No idea what "winter fever" is.


Lee
Places I Remember
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello to everyone. Thanks for stopping by.

Joylene said...

Sounds like another winner, Susanne. Thanks for introducing Christy. "Whooping Cough" eh? LOL. Makes sense.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...