Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book Review of The Emotion Thesaurus


The Emotion Thesaurus:
A Writer's Guide To Character Expression

Authors:  Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi

Published:  May 2012

Available as eBook, PDF and paperback

Available thru Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, Kobo, and Smashwords.









Book Description 
One of the biggest problem areas for writers is conveying a character's emotions to the reader in a unique, compelling way. This book comes to the rescue by highlighting 75 emotions and listing the possible body language cues, thoughts, and visceral responses for each. Written in an easy-to-navigate list format, readers can draw inspiration from character cues that range in intensity to match any emotional moment. The Emotion Thesaurus also tackles common emotion-related writing problems and provides methods to overcome them. This writing tool encourages writers to show, not tell emotion and is a creative brainstorming resource for any fiction project.

Review
Being a follower of The Bookshelf Muse blog, I was really excited to learn that Angela and Becca were putting together a book about characters emotions.  I knew this was going to be a book that not just myself, but all writers would greatly benefit from.

This easy to use guide covers 75 different emotions.  I like how each emotion is broken down in the book.  There is a definition for each of the emotions, physical signals, internal sensations, mental responses, cues of acute or long term (insert emotion being covered), what each of the emotions may escalate to, cues of suppressed (insert emotion being covered), and finally writer's tips.  

For anyone who struggles with how to show, not tell characters emotions, this helpful guide will make the task much easier to accomplish.  It also helps in avoiding the use of tired, overused cliches that make there way into writing, more times than we'd like.

I have a PDF copy of The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression, but plan on getting a paperback copy of the book so that I have the guide more readily accessible when I'm away from the computer.  This book will never collect dust on my bookshelf, as it will be referred to again and again.  I think this book should be in every writer's toolkit.  The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression is definitely worth the money you will spend on it.  


19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still need to download this book.

Becca Puglisi said...

Hi, Susanne. Thanks so much for such a thorough review of The Emotion Thesaurus! Angela and I thought long and hard about how to expand the original ET to make it more useful for writers. Hopefully, we accomplished that. Thanks again!

Elana Johnson said...

This is such a great resource! I already have my copy and sometimes it scares me a little, not gonna lie.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. I'm not an author as such .. but I can see that this book would/could be an essential read for many in all walks of life ..

.. social workers, carers (Care Home Managers, Nursing Home Managers etc) and people wanting to work with others ..

.. also for University or Vocational students ...

Something I'd definitely like to buy at some stage - I imagine, as you imply, it is just essential reading anyway ..

As Becca says .. so well described and reviewed ..

Thanks - Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

This sounds like an outstanding reference for writers.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Donna McDine said...

Great review! e-Books are great, but I know what you mean about having the print copy. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love the thesaurus. I have the printed version and really love it. I don't know how I survived before. :D

Sherry Ellis said...

I definitely need to get this book!

Talli Roland said...

Fantastic review! This one is one my list for sure.

Lindi said...

This sounds like a book I need--print copy probably. There's just something about holding those reference books. :)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Very nice review, Susanne. This book sounds awesome. I just read part of an article about what makes a Newbery stand out from other books. The first thing mentioned is a memorable character. Haven't finished the article. Must check on this book. Thanks.

Beth said...

Interesting resource.

Bish Denham said...

I've got a copy on my Kindle but also plan to get a hard copy. I LOVE The Bookshelf Muse!

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

This sounds like a good book. I like the idea of a paperback copy. It does sound easier to get around in that way.

LTM said...

love this resource! But even more, I love these guys posts about different little techniques we can use in our writing. Angela and Becca truly are the best. Thanks for highlighting them, Sus! :o) <3

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've heard a lot about this book, and it sounds great. Yours was the best description of it I've read so far. Definitely adding the paper version to my wishlist!

Susan Hornbach said...

Hey Susanne, this was a great review. The Emotion Thesaurus is the next book I buy. It sounds like just what I need. Thanks.

Empty Nest Insider said...

This sounds like such a helpful book. Not only is it beneficial to writers, but many men in general could learn a lot from it! Julie

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I read this quickly last week, but intend to take a closer look this week. Great little book. I'm actually hoping it comes out in hardcopy. It would be a great addition to my desk, next to my computer. Handy reference tool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...