Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bride-and-Seek by Elysabeth Eldering


Bride-and-Seek

by Elysabeth Eldering


Published by: Elysabeth Eldering on Amazon

Genre: paranormal romance

Cover design by: H. C. Paye

Format: eBook, available for Amazon Kindle








Book Description
Based on the legend of Covington Manor, Bride-and-Seek introduces us to Isabella, a young woman from a wealthy family in the 1800s, as she anxiously waits to learn who her betrothed will be. She trusts that her father will choose wisely for her, but her heart yearns for it to be her best friend William.

At the masked ball thrown in her honor she falls for the man who claims the first and last dance of the evening, the man who makes her heart beat faster and her blood pulse stronger.

After the wedding, the celebration ends in tragedy as the lovers are parted by the cruel turnings of a simple game of hide-and-seek.


My Thoughts
Bride-and-Seek is a story that is based on a legend about a young couple who gets married and the tragic event that takes place on their wedding night, because of playing the childhood game of hide-and-seek.  

Although I found Bride-and-Seek interesting, as it was based on a legend I was already familiar with, I didn't feel drawn into the story.  I didn't feel a connection with the characters that, for me, makes a story truly memorable.  I would have liked to have seen this story expanded on, perhaps letting readers learn about the friendship between Isabella and William.  I wanted to know why Isabella yearned for William to be her betrothed. 

Since Bride-and-Seek is labeled a paranormal romance, I thought some kind of mention about a ghost or spirit might have added to the story.  

If you like romance with a bit of tragedy, then you might want to read Bride-and-Seek.



AUTHOR BIO - Ms. Eldering is the award winning author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad (JGDS), 50-state, mystery, trivia series.  Her stories "Train of Clues", "The Proposal" (available as an ebook), "Tulip Kiss" (available as an ebook), and "Butterfly Halves", all placed first, second, or runner up in various contests to include two for Armchair Interviews and two for Echelon Press (Fast and ... themed type contests).  Her story "Bride-and-Seek" (available as an ebook) was selected for the South Carolina Writers' Workshop (SCWW) anthology, the Petigru Review.  Ms. Eldering makes her home in upper state South Carolina and loves to travel, read, cross stitch and crochet.  When she's not busy with teenaged children still at home, working her full-time job as a medical transcriptionist or participating in virtual classroom visits, she can be found at various homeschool or book events promoting her writing.  

For more information about the JGDS series, please visit the JGDS blog at http://jgdssseries.blogspot.com or the JGDS website at http://jgdsseries.weebly.com

For more information about Elysabeth's other writings, please visit her general writing and family blog at http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com or her website at http://eeldering.weebly.com

10 comments:

elysabeth said...

Thank you, Susanne. Some stories are harder to draw the readers in as they are limited by the word counts. Some don't have enough time to develop the characters and I feel this was my shortcoming on this story. I wrote the story for a specific anthology and hadn't thought of it not drawing my readers in. Maybe my the next couple of stories will draw the readers - see you in the postings - E :)

Elysabeth Eldering
Author of Finally Home, a middle grade/YA paranormal mystery (written similar to a Nancy Drew mystery)
http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
http://eeldering.weebly.com

Sherry Ellis said...

I like the cover of the book. Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl Klarich said...

Thanks for the review, Susanne. I also enjoyed Elysabeth's comment. (writer's are people too!)

Bless you!!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

ooh, this sounds wonderful.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Eek, a romance with a bit of tragedy. Not my favorite kind. I like the idea of throwing in a ghost.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Enjoyed your review, Susanne. I have this book on my iPad and am looking forward to reading it. If the days were only longer.

elysabeth said...

Beverly,

It is a quick read - probably can read it in less than an hour. All my short stories are under 5000 words so very quick reads. Even my middle grade/Ya myster is pretty short at 56,000 words.

Stina, this was a written as a challenge from a friend of mine - she sent me a calendar called "Haunted Realms" a few years back and we were doing a story a month based on whatever our calendars depicted. Her calendar was "Femme Fatales" and so we would take that month's information and write a short story on it. It was fun but we didn't get too many written secondary to life getting in the way.

I've got to reformat it for smashwords and nook but haven't gotten around to it yet -

My other to short stories are free for the month of July on smashwords and you cn check out last week's This and That posting on my blog - http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com - for the direct link to each of those.

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving comments on Susanne's review of my story. See you all in the postings - E :)

Elysabeth Eldering
Author of Finally Home, a middle grade/YA paranormal mystery (written like a Nancy Drew mystery)
http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
http://eeldering.weebly.com

alexia said...

Thanks for the review! I'm all about happy endings and not tragedy, so I'm not sure it would be my cup of tea. Intriguing premise, though!

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I love that it's based on a spooky, tragic legend. I admit, I am intrigued by how hide and seek can end in tragedy ...

elysabeth said...

Dianne,

You can check it out on kindle for 99 cents - yes a simple game turned tragedy on a wedding night.

Hope you enjoy if you get it - E :)

Elysabeth Eldering
Author of FINALLY HOME, a middle grade/YA paranormal mystery (written similar to a Nancy Drew mystery)
http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
http://eeldering.weebly.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...