Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry


Knee Deep

by Jolene Perry
 
Release:
May 1, 2012

Publisher: Tribute Books

Genre: YA/Contemporary Romance


 
Book Summary
Shawn is the guy Ronnie Bird promised her life to at the age of fourteen. He's her soul mate. He's more uptight every day, but it's not his fault. His family life is stressful, and she's adding to it. She just needs to be more understanding, and he'll start to be the boy she fell in love with. She won’t give up on someone she’s loved for so long.

Luke is her best friend, and the guy she hangs with to watch girlie movies in her large blanketopias. He's the guy she can confide in before she even goes to her girlfriends, and the guy who she's playing opposite in Romeo and Juliet. Now her chest flutters every time he gets too close. This is new. Is Ronnie falling for him? Or is Juliet? The lines are getting blurry, but leaving one guy for another is not something that a girl like Ronnie does.

Shawn’s outbursts are starting to give her bruises, and Luke’s heart breaks as Ronnie remains torn. While her thoughts and feelings swirl around the lines between friendship and forever, she’s about to lose them both. 



My Thoughts
This was the second book by Jolene Perry that I have read.  Jolene definitely understands the complexities of young adult relationships and it comes through in her writing.  She writes about situations that are relevant to today's young adults.

Knee Deep tackles the subject of abuse and violence in a high school couple's relationship.  I think Jolene did an excellent job of bringing to light what can happen in an abusive relationship and the affects it might have on others.

While reading Knee Deep, there were a couple of times that I teared up and there were a couple of times that I had to walk away from the book because I felt uncomfortable.  It reminded me of someone I knew when I was in high school.  A good book is not only about the characters, but the emotions you feel while you are reading.  This is a book I will not soon forget.



Jolene grew up in Wasilla, Alaska. She graduated from Southern Utah University with a degree in political science and French, which she used to teach math to middle schoolers.

After living in Washington, Utah and Las Vegas, she now resides in Alaska
with her husband, and two children. Aside from writing, Jolene sews, plays the guitar, sings when forced, and spends as much time outside as possible.

She is also the author of
Night Sky and The Next Door Boys.


9 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Wow, if a book makes you have to walk away and take a breather, it must be pretty darn powerful.

Tribute Books said...

Susanne, thank you so much for the review!

Cheryl Klarich said...

I admire those who tackle the tough stuff!

Thanks for the intro to Jolene!

Bless you!

Sherry Ellis said...

Sounds like an intriguing love triangle!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Even after all these years, I still get weepy when I read these storylines. I ended up marrying the Luke in my life.

Sounds like my kind of story.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow, sounds moving.

Ann Best said...

This is a compelling review, Susanne! At age 72 I stil love a good YA novel. Some of the best stories have been and are being written in this genre. This review especialy interests me because I might have been a nextdoor neighbor to Jolene. She lived in Washigton Uah and I lived for 4 years with my disabled daughter in St. George, which is a mere two miles to the north. Thanks for your review. I'm now going to go to Jolene's blog to meet her! (Sorry for the above delete. That was me scrambling a sentence.)

Lynda R Young said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review.

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm sure glad I'm past those complexities of young relationships. I think. Good luck to Jolene and Knee Deep!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...