Monday, September 17, 2012

Vin and the Dorky Duet by Maggie Lyons


Vin and the Dorky Duet

By Maggie Lyons

Publisher: MuseItUp Publishing
                 MuseItUpPublishing.com

                 ISBN: 978-1-77127-073-1 (eBook)

Publisher: Halo Publishing Int.
                 HaloPublishing.com

                 ISBN: 978-1-61244-091-0  (Paperback; 93 pgs.)

Genre: Children's Chapter Adventure Book

Cover Art by Suzannah Safi


About the Book:
A twelve-year-old boy named Vin, goes on a mission - reluctantly.  He doesn't share the optimism of the knights of old who embarked on impossible missions without a doubt they'd succeed.  When magnetic compost heaps, man-eating bubble baths and other disasters erupt, Vin comes close to packing in the whole ridiculous business.  He calls it Operation BS, his code name for a mission to introduce his sister to a boy she has a crush on.  He doesn't want to play matchmaker, but Meg's promise to reward him with a David Beckham autographed soccer jersey is a decisive incentive.





My Thoughts:
Vin and the Dorky Duet has it all.  Adventure, embarrassing situations, tall tales, magnetic compost heaps and man-eating bubble baths.  Add to that an average boy, a plotting older sister, an unsociable nerd and a few other quirky people.  What do you get?  A hilarious page-turner that will draw the reader into the story at page one and keep them there all the way to the end.  

I thought it was a fun book to read.  It's the kind of fast-paced story that middle graders and tweens will enjoy reading.  The characters are fun, easy to relate to and the dialogue is realistic.  I couldn't help but laugh when reading the embarrassing situations Vin finds himself in.  I look forward to reading more by this author.  Perhaps there will be more adventures with Vin?  One can only hope.

I recommend this book for all middle grade and tween readers.  This would be a great addition to classrooms, libraries and bookshelves at home.  I also recommend Vin and the Dorky Duet for all adults who are still kids at heart.  : )



Maggie Lyons was born in Wales and brought up in England before gravitating west to Virginia's coast.  She zigzagged her way through a motley variety of careers from orchestral management to law-firm media relations to academic editing.  Writing and editing nonfiction for adults brought plenty of satisfaction but nothing like the magic she discovered in writing fiction and nonfiction for children.  Several of her articles, poetry and a chapter book have been published in the children's magazines Stories for Children Magazine and knowonder!

Author's Website: http://www.maggielyons.yolasite.com

Author's Blog: maggie-lyons.blogspot.com



You can find out more about Maggie Lyon's World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/9t24kgy

To learn more about the World of Ink tours visit http://worldofinknetwork.com



17 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Thanks for the review, Susanne. I'll have to let my son know. It might be a book of interest to him. :)

Deb Hockenberry said...

You wrote a good review. Susanne. I really enjoyed this book as well. In fact, I read it twice!

Virginia S Grenier said...

This is such a great book for reluctant readers. My son loves the Captain Underpants and Whimpy Kid series. I think this fits right with that reader perfectly.

LTM said...

LOL! What an awesome sounding book! Thanks, Susanne! I bet my youngest would like this one! :o) <3

Stephen Tremp said...

Its great to meet Maggie and best wishes to her and Vin and the Dorky Duet!

Linda Jackson said...

Great review, Susanne. Sounds like a really fun book my son might like. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello to all! Thanks for stopping by to check out the post on VIN AND THE DORKY DUET. I think this book will make a great Christmas present. I like to give books as gifts and I've added this one to my gift giving list.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sounds interesting. As someone else already said, it sounds comparative to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid grouping.

BarbaraB said...

Hi Susanne. I enjoyed your review of this fun book.
Hi Maggie. Congratulations once again.

Maggie Lyons said...

My great appreciation to Susanne for posting this review and to everyone who read this page. I hope the book will be enjoyed by your children, grandchildren -- any children you buy books for. Please let me know. You can reach me with your comments through my website maggielyons.yolasite.com, and via e-mail at maggielyons66@gmail.com.

Talli Roland said...

What a cute cover and concept. Thanks for the review, Suzanne!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello to all!

Maggie, I was happy to share about VIN AND THE DORKY DUET. I hope there will be future adventures with Vin.

Bish Denham said...

Sounds like a great MG! There need to more.

Arlee Bird said...

This sounds like a fun book for young people. I liked the trailer. The music was fab.


Lee
A Faraway View

Empty Nest Insider said...

Great review Susanne! Sounds like a fun-filled read! Julie

Charmaine Clancy said...

Sounds like it would have been a fun story to write!

Susanne Drazic said...

Thanks for stopping by to learn more about VIN AND THE DORKY DUET. Isn't that a great title? : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...