Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Interview with Kelly DiPucchio



I'd like to take this time to introduce Kelly DiPucchio, author of Zombie in Love.  As you can see, she is no stranger to zombies.  These are just some of the "undead" Kelly met last fall at a zombie walk, where she had one of her book signings.  

Hi, Kelly.  Can you start off by telling us a little about yourself?

Hi Susanne! Thank you for inviting me to your zombie invasion. And hello to all of the hungry readers and feeders out there!  A little about me…well, according to Twitter, I am a reader, writer, seeker, thinker, tv watcher, coffee drinker. That just about sums it up. I’m also a mother, wife, and the author of 14 books.


Could you describe your desk or workspace?

I recently remodeled my office. It used to be very cluttered and dark. It was my secret writing cave where I could hide from my children. That atmosphere started to feel a little claustrophobic and depressing the past few years. So this spring, I downsized my enormous book collection, and I got rid of all the knickknacks and toys. I changed the paint color from a dark teal blue to a soft shade of buttercream and I replaced all of the old furniture with a mix of modern and vintage pieces that I love. It’s very light and peaceful in my grown up office now. It’s a space I enjoy coming into every day.


What was your favorite book as a child and why?

My favorite book when I was a child was HORTON HEARS A WHO by Dr. Seuss. I was completely enchanted by the idea that this entire civilization of teeny, tiny people were living and going about their lives on a single tuft of clover. That book made me look at the world differently and isn't that what a really great book should do?


If you could have coffee with anyone (living or dead, real or fictional), who would it be and why?

Darn! I wish I could have a dinner party instead! There are so many people I would love to have a conversation with. But if I had to choose just one, my answer would be my future self. I would love to interrogate my future self and ask her if she had any advice. 


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Definitely not when I was a child. When I was a child, I set my sights on much more realistic goals; I wanted to be Cher or Barbra Streisand. I both blame and thank Jon Scieszka making me want to be a writer. I read a lot of books to my kids when they were young and his stories always made me laugh. When you’re a sleep-deprived, exhausted mother of three children under the age of six, you really begin to appreciate funny books that don’t make you want to jump out of a window if you have to read them “one more time.”


Do you write full time or part time?

I would describe myself as a part-time, full-time writer. 


Do you outline before you write?  If not, what's your initial process?

I am not an outliner. My initial drafts are always on paper and usually consist of sloppy notes, doodles, incomplete sentences and coffee stains. 


Where did you get the idea for Zombie in Love?

My editor at Atheneum, Namrata Tripathi, actually approached me about writing a zombie picture book. She had the title Zombie Valentines stuck in her head. When I asked her if she wanted a concept book or a story, she said envisioned some kind of story.  So I came up with an idea that centered around a lonely zombie and the story quickly fell into place. Ultimately, we decided a holiday book was too limiting, but there are still a few elements of the Valentine’s Day theme in the published book.


Can you share about any current writing projects?

I recently sold the rights to the Zombie In Love sequel! I’m really excited about it. And the sequel to Crafty Chloe will be out in the spring. It’s called Crafty Chloe: Dress-up, Mess-up.


What is the best advice you've ever received?

Do what you love. Oprah said that. I miss Oprah. She doesn't know it, but she was one of my first cheerleaders. She gave me the courage to take this crazy writing journey. Never in a million years could I have dreamed back then that one of my books would actually appear on her talk show someday. (The Sandwich Swap. 2010)


What would be the best way for readers to contact you?

By pigeon post. But if you don’t have a pigeon, I can be reached through my website: www.kellydipucchio.com


Do you have any final thoughts you'd like to share?

Do what you love.


Kelly, thank you for a great interview.  I enjoyed having you be a part of zombie invasion.



26 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Great interview, ladies! I love the sound of Kelly's workspace.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Great interview and great advice. When you do what you love, it's easy to be passionate about it. And passion is what you need when things get tough. You'll less likely quit.

Laura Marcella said...

Nice interview, Kelly and Susanne! Kelly's workspace sounds lovely. And very cool she had one of her books featured on Oprah!

Carol Kilgore said...

Nice to meet you, Kelly. I'm a Dr. Seuss fan, too. The book of choice in our house was The Cat in the Hat.

Great interview!

Sherry Ellis said...

Great interview! Wow, 14 books! That's a lot. You've just motivated me. LOL!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Hi Kelly and Susanne. Kelly, sounds like a great writing space. Congratulations on your books!

Susanne Drazic said...

Hello to all! Thanks for stopping by to meet Kelly.

Robyn Campbell said...

Bodacious advice! And sweet interview, you two. Passion! Gotta have it. Congrads on your books. *waves peace sign*

Julie said...

What a fun and entertaining interview. And the photo is classic! It's great to meet you, Kelly! Thanks for sharing, Susanne. :)

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic interview! Zombies are so much fun.

Stacy Henrie said...

Sounds like a fun a story! I love how people dressed up as zombies for her signing. :)

M Pax said...

What a cute picture... something I've never said about zombies before.

Do what you love is great advice.

KELLY DIPUCCHIO said...

Thanks for the fun feedback! Nice to meet all of you here during zombie invasion month with Susanne.

Susanne Drazic said...

Stopping in to say thanks to everyone who has stopped by since my last check-in. Glad everyone has enjoyed the interview with Kelly.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Kelly! Thanks for a great interview. It was fun having you as a guest on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

marysuehobika said...

14 books - wow! I miss Oprah too.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Nice meeting Kelly!

Who DIDN'T want to be Cher when they were young? LOL!

Janet Johnson said...

What a fun interview! And amen about doing what you love. Great advice!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susanne .. great meeting Kelly - sounds like her writing space is just what she needs .. creativity can easily flow. Do what we love .. absolutely right .. cheers to you both .. Hilary

Bish Denham said...

Do what you love... there is no greater bit of advice, except to love one another.

Great interview! Nice to meet you Kelly.

Margo Berendsen said...

I love her idea for a dinner party for all the people she'd like to have a conversation with including her future self!

Susanne Drazic said...

Do what you love is great advice. Thanks to all for stopping by to meet Kelly.

Stephen Tremp said...

Its great to meet Kellie. And its that time of year where the zombies come out in force. Best wishes for Zombie In Love!

Susan Hornbach said...

Wow! What a great interview ladies. I so enjoyed it. You certainly are an ambitious writer Kelly. Your new work space sounds wonderful, and I too would like to interview my future being. I wish you great success with all of your endeavors Kelly. Susanne, thanks for such a great post.

Charmaine Clancy said...

I've spotted this book about and love the look of it! Awesome cover art :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Stephen, Susan, and Charmaine! Thanks for stopping by to meet Kelly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...